Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback "Industry Tier" requirement is prohibiting me from freelance work.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon_Huhn, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Jon_Huhn

Jon_Huhn

My day job is creating animations for various industries outside of gaming and entertainment. I've wanted to pick up some side work in Unity to make a little extra money, but in order to offer Unity apps to my customers, I'd be forced to buy a $5,000 Industry license because of their yearly revenue, which is very cost prohibitive given that I'm only doing this part time. And no, making $1 million per year is not a lot of revenue for even a small business, so when they come to me they're very cost sensitive. If I tacked on the cost of a subscription, they'd go someplace else, or just opt for a 3d animation instead of a cool interactive Unity app.

This price is waaaaay outside of what even 3ds Max or Maya charges for a year subscription, not to mention Adobe. The "Industry Tier" requirement should be tied to MY revenue, not my client's. This is beyond unreasonable.

2. mgear

mgear

yes, i told that to unity contact person too (that this clause "if you are providing service(s) to a third party, your customer’s or client’s gross revenues" will kill unity freelancing),
    but they didnt care : |

time to use unreal for those kind of projects.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Ruslank100 and DragonCoder like this.
  4. mgear

mgear

industry license is not affected with the new pricing stuff.

but they are asking that if you do work for big customer, then you need that license.. which is bad idea.

5. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Yea, looks like Unity is done on multiple fronts.

Kenneth_ION and Ruslank100 like this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Yes, this is a known problem with unity license.

I'd suggest to try another engine or avoid directly working with unity. If you give them fbx without running an editor, you are not using the engine.

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

Another problem that stopped me long ago was you have to be in the same tier as your customer when freelancing for them. So you can only work in one tier per licence. But, then one customer moves up or down a tier, so your licence needs to change, but cannot because it will now be the wrong tier for your other customers (among the clarifications I asked Unity about, but never got an answer, was how long my licence requirement is tied to the customer requirement, which makes how long I am tied to a customer uncertain). So you need a licence per customer.

8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I can't find it now, but I was fairly certain that was answered with all discussion around Plus. If I recall that if you are not an employee (though long term contract was unclear), your license only needed be based on your revenue as a contractor. Though I may be off, or it may have changed with the whole seat management stuff. Though it wasn't as big of deal with pro/plus as it is with industry, it definitely should be clarified.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, maybe I’m misremembering but I think it’s actually been based on your client’s revenue for a while now.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Possibly. That's probably why I can't find anything on it. I remember they bounced a bit, I maybe misremembering where they landed. At the time I was more concerned about how they defined freelance/contract vs. long term contract. (which they never did clarify)

11. They ended up with this (latest update 6 days ago)
    https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...ercial-game-with-Unity-Free-Personal-Edition-
    I'm guessing everything else is moot now that they basically eradicated the Plus license.

12. mgear

mgear

there's one mention here,
    https://unity.com/legal/editor-terms-of-service/software

zombiegorilla likes this.
  13. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

We are struggling with this choice as well, being a small studio creating Realtime applications for enterprises. We are not floating in cash despite what unity believes. The majority of our income comes from unreal work even. Yet we will have to pay a majority of our software fees to unity once the transition period for this change is over. It's ridiculous...

14. kdgalla

kdgalla

I have a feeling the TOS is going to go through a lot of revisions over the next few months, so whatever is true today may be different in a short time.

15. andyz

andyz

There is some misinformation in this thread - though Unity lacks clarity always, the new price changes do not affect Industry customers who are indeed expected to use Pro, Enterprise or Industry based on 'Finances' of you or who you are contracting for (the second bit is hidden in T&Cs), which is one of the worst possible measures since it basically means there may be no profit (it is gross/funds) and/or you may be a freelancer asking a company for thousands of euros for a license.

DragonCoder likes this.
  16. mgear

mgear

i think you cannot use industry license for games at all, so the pricing doesn't affect.
    (but like said, they might come up new fees anytime..)

https://unity.com/legal/editor-terms-of-service/software/faq