Search Unity

Indoor Navigation using AR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Unity_dev_22, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Unity_dev_22

Unity_dev_22

Hi,

I have to work on indoor navigation in one app using AR. What is the best approach to follow for this?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. WisockiJr

WisockiJr

There is NO indoor navigation. it does not exist yet - no way

3. Unity_dev_22

Unity_dev_22

But I have heard of sone solutions using beacons and SLAM. I am not sure about how it works

4. WisockiJr

WisockiJr

I can tell you how it works, every few meters you must have a Bluetooth 4.0 LowEnergy beacon. Apple did it a few months ago, it does not provide SLAM, and is not accurate even for indoor navigation. Google is researching on it, as google maps will provide indoor maps for malls, museums, libraries. it seems we might have in the future a new WiFi standard so that every WiFi hotspot will provide approximate distance. currently, you must rely on beacons. it is not near as accurate as GPS, as you should already know, Bluetooth beacons do not provide distance information at all - it only tells you if you are already within 30cm distant of the beacon, almost 3m away or already too far.

5. Unity_dev_22

Unity_dev_22

Got it. Thanks.
    So we can have beacon to get the location and then ARCore's SLAM to get the distance thing sorted to the next beacon. The only thing is the shortest path.
    Anyways i'll give it a try.Thanks for the explanation.

6. mgear

mgear

7. peter-motive

peter-motive

Mapbox wrote about an indoor navigation system using AR in their blog a while back. Never tried it though.

There are a number of indoor navigation solutions available. I've seen Navisens but not the others. Perhaps you could use one of their SDKs and make the path visible via AR.

Navisens
    Situm
    Indoor Atlas
    Cartogram

HTH

spark-man likes this.
  8. zyonneo

zyonneo

I think beacons are getting outdated.I believe computer vision is what is required.You need to map the entire area and save them,later load them.I am also researching in the same thing.Looking for differrent SDK's which can work with unity.

9. Mr12Fingers

Mr12Fingers

Yes it's possible. IndoorAtlas has a working SDK for Unity. It works using wi-fi, location, and the phone's magnetometer (yes) all in conjunction, with Bluetooth beacons as optional (needed for iOS). You can immediately see it works by using their mapping application and mapping your location.

No, beacons are not outdated....

In regards to computer vision.... it's not required nor can I imagine it really being applicable in indoor location, at least in the typical sense.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was wondering if there's any tutorial or some points from where I can start to implement BLE beacons for indoor AR navigation.

11. jinsjohn123

jinsjohn123

Becomap is a rising star in indoor navigation, offering seamless navigation solutions for a variety of indoor environments. Their platform uses a combination of technologies including Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons and Wi-Fi to provide accurate location-based services.

12. Red_Dragon69

Red_Dragon69

Just create your own AR Indoor Navigation! I created a whole tutorial series with ARFoundation a year ago!

Have fun :)

13. nabil12211

nabil12211

This is outstanding but as technologies evolved, I've seen several ways to do AR Indoor Navigation with high-cost and cost-effective approaches including BLE, Visual Positioning Sytem, & SLAM. ARCore released latest documentation and it improves a lot for indoor navigation.

As I've seen your tutorials, can I request for another tutorials to approach the AR Indoor Navigation using VPS and BLE as a comparison to which method is suitable?

There's few SDKs and APIs can be used nowadays.

I'm curious and eager to do it but needed some guidance throughout. Maybe by seeing your tutorials will be a very helpful one.

Kindly consider my request. Thanks.

14. Red_Dragon69

Red_Dragon69

It's on my list :) There are similar requests in the comments section already, but I'm quite short on time currently. Hopefully the videos will help you on your quest in the meantime.