Search Unity

Indoor Maps - Preferred Technique?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SupaPuerco, Sep 1, 2005.

1. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

I'm almost ready to buy this "Unity" I've heard so much about, but I was wondering what is the technique to use for making and indoor "office-building" type map. Build from primitives in the editor? Build the map in Maya and import it? (I don't have Maya.) If this is a weird/obvious question, sorry. Also, for modeling I downloaded Wings3D and I don't plan to buy any super-expensive packages at the moment, will this work from an ease-of-use perspective or is the Maya integration all it's cracked up to be? Thanks!

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

It will be easiest to model the enteriors inside a 3d art package then import it into unity.
    Wings 3D integration is good since it has a fbx exporter.

3. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Any of the 3D packages that have been talked about would do for modeling an interior office space and then getting it into your Unity project. I'd recommend Cheetah and the lower end of the price spectrum, but Cinema 4D, Lightwave and certainly Maya will be able to do anything you want them to do. I wouldn't recommend modeling an interior space using just the supplied primitive shapes in Unity as it will be, well, quite primitive. But you'll assign you collision detectors to the objects you create (and parts thereof) within Unity.

And I agree with David H wholeheartedly. Create the exterior of the structures and that creates your basic interior space. Interior stuff like columns, walls etc get added to your model too before importing it to Unity.

4. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

There is also blender ;) so if you want to go the low price road thats the best option if your willing to learn it. As always we here at the forum are happy to help in any way we can. keep us posted. Jeff