Search Unity

Individual prefabs vs prefabs of prefabs for performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Widanon, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Widanon

Widanon

Hi - I want to scatter trees around to make a dense forest, but obviously it increases my poly count a lot. I was wondering if there is any performance benefit from first making prefabs of tree groups, and then scattering these groups around, vs just scattering the trees around individually. Eg. 10 x group of 10 instances vs 100 individual instances

I guess the CPU/GPU has to draw the same number of faces whichever way, but I wondered if grouping them would make it work less 'hard' somehow.

Or is there any other way to create a realistically dense forest, without maxing out my poly count? Thanks.

2. MDADigital

MDADigital

Use vegetation studio. It has instancing support

3. ippdev

ippdev

I had good success almost recreating the density of a southern Appalachian sub tropical rainforest using the Unity Tree Creator and creating clusters of trees. SpeedTree was a big slowdown gorgeous as it was. If you buy terrain kits they usually have proprietary workflows.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. kdgalla

kdgalla

As far as I know, prefabs are just an editor convenience feature, and won't have any affect on performance vs individual objects.

FernandoMK and angrypenguin like this.
  5. stain2319

stain2319

You might look into a Mesh combiner asset which can reduce your draw calls substantially.

6. Widanon

Widanon

Thanks for confirming kdgalla- I've been using a prefab painter which just creates all the instances under one container object, and I wondered if this would be less efficient that cloning predefined groups, but I guess not - end of the day it's the same number of faces...

7. Widanon

Widanon

Thanks Stain - I will investigate.

8. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

GPU Instancing is the approach used to render many copies of the same mesh in an optimal way.
    This is how tools like Vegetation Studio Pro are able to achieve performant results with lots of trees and grass.