Search Unity

Question Individual Levels of a Larger Catalog

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ImpossibleRobert, Jun 4, 2020.

1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Hi,

I have a scenario where I think addressables can be the perfect solution but I am not 100% sure. I have an app, which consists of a base package (which I upload) and then users can use my SDK to create their own additional packages which are then individually built and uploaded to a central server. They can also be updated.

My line of thinking was, that each package a user creates with my SDK is an addressable. He works on that and at some point uploads it. I would register each package location as an addressable location to get around the need to have a compound catalog (I know all the packages and their locations inside my app). I use a path syntax to address the correct package, e.g. /a/my.prefab or /b/their.prefab with a and b being two different addressables.

Now I am wondering about some things:
    * is this a supported scenario?
    * can I use the path syntax to load data from each addressable correctly? e.g. I register /a as remotehost/a and /b as remotehost/b.
    * do I need to make any IDs known to each addressable build or can I get around that?

Cheers, Robert

2. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I read a bit more through the forums and it seems that for some reason there can only be one remote catalog location be specified. Is this correct? This seems like a major short coming.

On the other hand, I saw described here (https://forum.unity.com/threads/change-remote-catalog-load-path-at-runtime.712052/) that one could also simply load all catalogs and their respective resource locations manually. If I did this for all packages on the server, and then used the IResourceLocation pointers instead of the paths to load assets, would I then have basically a multi-catalog support done myself?