Search Unity

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Seth McCumber: I actually know nothing of C#, I'm Hopeless! But I did have someone willing to do ports of the scripts for some time now. I might see if I can arrange a C# port for you, and any others who want a C# version.

2. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

3. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

Thanks for this great effect, but I had a problem with God Ray, Radial Blur, and Bloom. It all becomes over bright. I can't change the value. Nothing happens when I changed the threshold or amount.

- Overbright Bloom + Unchangeable threshold / amount value
    - Overbright God Ray + Unchangeable amount / intensity value
    - Nothing happens on Radial Blur

I use Unity 4.3.0, Any help please ?

$Unity - CORe.unity - MagicPuppy - PC, Mac  Linux Standalone.jpg $Unity - CORe.unity - MagicPuppy - PC, Mac  Linux Standalone_2.jpg $Unity - CORe.unity - MagicPuppy - PC, Mac  Linux Standalone_3.jpg

4. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Also color balance doesnt work in Unity 4.3.2, for me at least

5. Sainath Latkar

Sainath Latkar

thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  6. Jasper1900

Jasper1900

Wow, looks great!

Does it also include a SSAO Shader? That's what I really need for my game.

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@LAiKA787SV: The bloom effect you're using is actually a deprecated version - It's Obsolete! I am updating the documentation right now, however, so I am going to release the new, updated version soon. As for god rays, again, it's obsolete (sorry...) as i got a suggestion of doing it from a gameObject point, so i am working on this. With radial blur, you switch from god rays to radial blur. BTW, what game IS that, it looks epic!

@Seth McCumber: Color balance not working in 4.3.2? I didn't realize this, try sending a screenshot. As for C# porting, i have PMed davew_uk about this, and will get back to you when he answers.

@Sainath Latkar: An error in the bloom script? again, a new version is coming, so this problem should be fixed.

@semmie1900: I just built a new extension for faking depth textures, so SSAO could be possible to do now. I will have a look around for some examples to base my shader from. for now, enjoy the new version coming today! (that's Tuesday 4th Feb, if you are reading this ahead of time)

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

EVERYONE, THE NEW PACKAGE HAS ARRIVED!!!

New effects in this release:
    GASP! Depth Of Field is now in a working, easy to use, form on unity indie!

Fixes:
    Bloom effect replaced with one of my own. for those who want smoother results and know how to blur pixels better, please let me know.
    Webplayer updated. for those who can design a better scene to test the effects in, please let me know.

Enjoy the new release! I am currently working on a game, so those suggesting effects will get them, it will just take a while...

-FuzzyQuills

@Seth McCumber: unfortunately, the guy i tried to find to do a C# port doesn't allow private messages, and i can't get to him. just letting you know, however, one of my friends might know how to port C# from javascript, so i will get back to you on that later.

9. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

I'm making a RPG game. It's requested by my friend... I haven't put decoration things... so yeah...

Well.. I'm a little bit confused with it. I put in this order Indie Effect, Color Balance, and Blur, the result was only blur, and then I put this order Indie Effect, Blur, Color Balance, and the result was only color balance. How to fix this ?

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@LAiKA787SV: I did realise this when making the effect that the blur, bloom and DoF effects don't stack yet. This is due to a lack of blending of any kind, as DoF needs a raw texture to work properly without overbloom. Same with blurring, it won't stack. Might have to check the shaders to see what i can do...

11. torgon1

torgon1

Hi
    If I am making a game using this effects; can I then sell my game if I make a link to this post somewhere in the game menu or somewhere?

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@torgon1: You don't have to link back to this thread, but if you want to, go ahead! The indie effects package doesn't have any restrictions - you are free to do anything you want with it, including making your own version, should the game require it. I did this with one of my games so i could pack 3 effects into one script for my character to access it when doing certain actions.

what kind of game are you making? I have become curious.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  13. torgon1

torgon1

Assets/ImageEffects/Classes/IndieEffects.js(59,25): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'TextureScale'.

this is the error message i got after i imported it... what am i doing wrong :confused:

PS: i am making MP shooter were you are playing like a RubberDuck with Human body and Guns :D

i can post a link to my vid here soon if i'm allowed ;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  14. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am also having this error.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  15. 0tacun

0tacun

@TheBlur: Thank you! :D if you want you can see the ninja in motion in my game ;) leave me a comment, I very much appreciate it.

The DOF effect looks pretty cool in the webplayer, well done! I will probably try it later.
    It is pretty amazing that you accomplished image effects for Unity indie! :)

Edit: Same problem here, I solved it by simply commenting the line out

in IndieEffects.js:
    Code (csharp):
    1.     if (Quality > 1){
    2.             renderTexture.Apply();
    3. //          TextureScale.Bilinear(renderTexture, Screen.width/Quality, Screen.height/Quality);
    4.         }
    5.         else {
    6.             renderTexture.Apply();
    7.         }

Found the source for the TextureScale.Bilinear() function:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/TextureScale

If you include this script from the wiki to your project the above change is unnecessary.

-------------
    Edit2: Tested the image effects, the bloom effect looks AMAZING! Also I noticed a performance boost?
    The DoF effect looks also very cool and makes the scene automatically cooler :D. But I noticed some artifacts:

there is a visible line cut and sometimes I notices some quares on the screen getting bigger with no DoF-effect.

Attached Files:

• $DOF.jpg
      $DOF.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: thanks for the feedback on the bloom effect! BTW, about the DoF... looks like the texture isn't updating! First, make sure the _depth extension is attached to your main camera (if it isn't, it won't update the Depth Position! this could explain the problem too...) If it isn't, add it. then the problem should go away. If it still doesn't work... send me your project! That will help me find the problem better. As for the visible line cut, there is going to be that there anyway, and will be fixed once i find a better blur algorithm. (like Gaussian blur!)

17. Lemo76

Lemo76

Hello TheBlur, I'm new to the whole Free Shader Image FX Business. I got the scripts imported into my scene, I did the

// TextureScale.Bilinear(renderTexture, Screen.width/Quality, Screen.height/Quality);

thing to get it working but when I drag in the script (from Classes folder) Negative or anything onto the Main Camera, when I run it, the screen is filled with the pink missing texture colour. Is this normal? How do I get the Shaders up and running in my scene?
    I've tried adding the Shader to a Plane in front of the Camera but the screen still became pink.
    Attatched is a screenshot.
    $1.PNG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  18. torgon1

torgon1

when i tried it i got this error
    Assets/Editor/Image Effects/BloomEditor.js(85,47): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Bloom': Bloom, Bloom.

19. Lemo76

Lemo76

Solved my problem...I had to update Unity

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@lemo76: My package SHOULD work with all versions of Unity 4, but maybe it doesn't work in 4.2 anymore...
    @torgon1: OK... It shouldn't do that. check if you accidentally have the Pro image effects installed. if so, try removing them, as the pro effects use editor scripts for the interface. (my scripts don't, and consequently shouldn't throw this error at you!)

21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The bloom runs a lot faster for me now. Still had that error. Only way to get game running was to comment out the line of code with the error. The TextureScale line.

$Indie_Effects_error2.jpg

I am using Unity 4.3.3

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@baldinoboy: so you found that rogue line too... just note that line there was a poor attempt at trying to down-sample the texture to improve speed.

23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Okay. Did not know if that would effect anything. The speed is better even without that line.

24. torgon1

torgon1

thanks now it works ;D

25. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: thanks for letting me know about the speed increase.

26. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

0tacun found that first. It is better. That is always good. Is there still a star bloom though? Liked that. Or do I just max the blooms blur setting?

27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@baldinoboy: if you want me to put the star bloom back in, i can do that - my bloom effect is actually based on the star bloom effect. at the moment though, i have been considering adding Gaussian blur for a better blurring effect with the bloom, making the effect less crude. ( i am also trying to do this with the DoF and the Blur effects) As for maximising the bloom setting, i think i hardcoded this in the shader, as there are artifacts when you apply too much bloom. (this is caused by the UV offsetting the blurring does)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  28. Stopsecret

Stopsecret

Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS TheBlur, these are awesome! Thank you so much! :D

-Stopsecret

29. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I like the star bloom for certain things. Love using the star bloom for well stars. Looks great in night scenes.

Your new bloom is great. You should definitely use Gaussian blur. Much smoother. It would be great to have a stretch setting so you could have a lens flare effect from the bloom. One thing the bloom shader should have is a bias setting. So you can select only the brightest objects to glow.

Sorry for all the request. Very excited:D.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  30. Berenger

Berenger

Great work TheBlur, awesome scripts. I'm working on a conversion to C#, I'll post it here when I'm done. Just in case, it doesn't exist yet, does it ?

31. Berenger

Berenger

32. MODEEEEE

MODEEEEE

Im getting error when importing this package ImageEffects/Classes/IndieEffects.js(60.25): BCE0005: Unknow identifier: 'TextureScale'

33. HashinBrownsR

HashinBrownsR

I get the same error as Modeeeee

34. Berenger

Berenger

It's apparently missing from the package. You can find it here, until OP upload it again.

35. Stopsecret

Stopsecret

I think TheBlur said you can just comment out the line (meaning in the script, type in a '//' at the beginning of the line to turn it into a comment and nullify it)

36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yes, sorry about that everyone. i accidentally left the script line in, and yea, all those errors are all over the place...

EDIT: I am now uploading a bug-fix version which addresses the issue of 'missing textureScale' class. No new effects yet though...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  37. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Everyone, the new bug-fix and improvement release is uploaded!

New features:
    • There is now a C# port integrated into the main package, (port done by Berenger)
    Bug-fixes
    • TextureScale Script is now removed, you should no longer get errors related to this script

Enjoy! :)

38. exit_the_matrix

exit_the_matrix

Hi TheBlur! First of all, congrats to your useful free asset! thanks for that!
    I just have a simple question: i do my first unity game (mainly sprite-based 2d look) with orthoghraphic camera (background-sprite resolution is at 2048) where you can play soccer with round stones (4 vs. 4 - multiplayer) and a ball. if i apply the motion blur to my main camera it works but it seems blurry - without motion (including the backgroundlayer). i tried to put the background into a own camera and the moving parts also into a own camera and only add the motion blur to the moving parts-camera) . but the effect was the same - blurry all-over-look - do you have any ideas ?

39. Lemo76

Lemo76

Hello TheBlur! I've been recently playing with your Bloom Effect and Adam's Colour Corrections/ Bloom Effect (http://1337atr.weebly.com/unity.html) to achieve some slightly laggy Metaballs as shown below:
    $1.PNG
    The problem is everything in the background becomes white and the bloom is way too large yet it only suits the Metaballs. So I'm wondering, could you please possibly in the next update, integrate an effect which creates the Metaball effect, not physically but through the camera and you can have a definable culling mask which you can tick/untick the tags of the objects which are affected by this FX.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@lemo76: A meta-ball effect? i am sorry, but i am not sure what you mean by this. If you are talking of some sort of molecule simulator for cell bodies, (I am assuming this is what you're trying to do) i could try an effect like that, but most of mine are image based, not object based!

@exit_the_matrix: blurry effects in ortho? check that you haven't accidentally used the Blur effect. if this isn't attached to your camera, please post a screenshot. this will help me evaluate the issue you're experiencing. BTW, nice nickname.

41. exit_the_matrix

exit_the_matrix

Hey! Thanks, but its def. not the blur effect: here are some screenshots

1. Normal Camera View:
    $sharp.jpg

2. Indie Effects Motion Blur applied:

$blurry.jpg

3. Here are the Cam Settings:

$inspector.jpg

Thanks Fuzzy

42. Lemo76

Lemo76

Hello FuzzyQuills (but I know you as TheBlur now),
    a response to what you said about the metaballs, the ones I achieved weren't actually proper 3d metaballs, they were designed using a combination of the indie effects (I used the Bloom to get all the particle balls blend together then a Colour balance to add the blue outline).
    I managed to make the Metaballs only using the post fx, so I know it's possible to make them without actually physically making them.

My point is, it would be cool and possible if you could set up an effect which allows certain things with tags to look like metaballs using some bloom options. That's just my suggestion as it would allow people to make liquid simulations in Unity Indie for free.
    Thanks.

$1.PNG

If need be, I can send you the scene file.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@lemo76: Oh, now i see, you seem to want a fluid simulator-type effect for only marked objects. I could try that. Anyway, you got the nickname thing wrong - my original name was TheBlur, now it is my gamer name, FuzzyQuills. (and it was supposed to be this, but at the time, i hadn't though of it)

@exit_the_matrix: Doesn't look blurry to me. if you are talking about blurring at the edges, that's the Unity Editor - it looks fine in the standalone. And your camera config looks fine too. And BTW, nice game. Haven't seen anything looking better in Unity free, except for the Lux Physically-based shading framework - that stuff is EPIC

44. exit_the_matrix

exit_the_matrix

Thx Fuzzy :) ... but you dont see the difference between the sharp.png and blurry.png ? Look at the Orange-Banner -Text e.g. , I would love to have your motion blur effect in the game - but if it is this way , i cant use it atm ... i hope i find out whats wrong

Update: i tried other effects (like bloom or colorbalance) and it seems that the camera jumps up for some pixels - this explains why the motion blur looks also blurry without motion ) so the BIG question now is: why the camera moves, hm ?

45. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@exit_the_matrix: how good is your network connection? Because i seriously can't see your problem on my machine - the text looks fine! try uploading your project if your connection is up to it. this will help heaps!

EDIT: also, see the thread - you may have uploaded the same image to both slots by accident! (at least that is what it looks like)

EDIT2: Ok, i found the problem on my end: the images needed to be zoomed in to see your problem. Your problem here is nothing to worry about: it's just the editor. make a build, launch it, and see! (and make sure the editor is closed before launching the game in fullscreen! I had a weird lock-up when i didn't do this!)

46. edux404

edux404

Hi, when I try to put the antialiasing, all I get is a white screen, any ideas?

Cheers

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@edux404: Huh? this again?! A lot of people get this issue. essentially, attach IndieEffects.js (or IndieEffects.cs) to the camera if it isn't attached, as not having the IndieEffects script attached will cause a white screen. I might see my own script and correct it, as it seems it isn't auto-adding it...

EDIT: I found the script has the RequireComponent Set wrong. going to release a bug-fix soon. for now, if the white screen glitch happens again, check that IndieEffects is attached. For those who want only AA, turn the motionBlur slider down to 0 once the script is added, then hit play. enjoy your AA!

For everyone to hear: the beloved StarBloom shader is going to make a return! and it's going to be color-based, to give even richer bloom than before. so keep your eyes open!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  48. Lemo76

Lemo76

You are (from what i've seen) the only developer working currently on Unity Indie Image Effects, so here are my ideas of what you should try to aim for, these are just suggestions to give you ideas not requests or nags.

-The Metaball Effect
    -Bokeh (Choose from shapes e.g. Hexagon,Circle)
    -DOF sphere falloff (control the DOF sphere in 3d space rather than just via values(This would make front/rear blur easy))
    -Advanced options on Colour Corrections + Many presets e.g. Sepia, Cinematic
    -Blur on specific tags (This would be SO good because it will open up possibilities e.g. http://goo.gl/mUp1ou)
    -Twirl Effect/Screen Displacement based on Texture
    -Colour Correction via Curves (This would be a challenge)
    -Glow (like Bloom in a way) on specific tags
    -Chromatic Aberration (Could define specific edge colours)
    -Definable colours / specific tags which create Bloom
    -Screen Space Ambient Obscurance (I'm not sure if this is possible as it seems more object based but it would be REALLY awesome)
    -Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (If Obscurance is possible, this is possible)
    -Tone Mapping

I've noticed with the shaders used in Unity Indie, you are able to achieve almost all of the effects I mentioned in Unity Indie.
    By the way, I'm looking forward to coloured Starbloom.
    Keep the work up on the free Indie Image Effects, I REALLY appreciate how you've allowed these for free as I have seen they have more potential than expected.

Sorry for an overwhelming amount of responses on my part as I am not yet choosing to buy Unity Pro as I want to see how much capability Unity Free has without spending a cent and finding these Unity Shaders has been a really large benefit.

Lastly, I'm learning slowly how to use/make shaders but I don't really know too much stuff so what's possible/ what's not is quite unclear for me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Lemo76: Well Done! As for all packages, there is many more than just mine (take one look at FXLab's and you already know it's awesome!), but i think mine is the only free one out there. I agree with you not wanting to spend any money. some people (like me!) actually have none, and this package especially caters to those people along with the rest. And it's fine to put out as many responses as you need to, as I frequently check this thread when I can, so you're pretty much guaranteed a response from me!

Now, onto the suggestions...
    DOF:What do you mean by DOF sphere? I actually don't use a sphere at all - it uses color in the depth values of the _depth extension to achieve the effect. And i can do rear and front blur, i just haven't got around to it yet...
    SSAO: Definitely possible, but could be a long time before you see this. I am thinking of using approximation of nearby pixels to do this, or i could develop a _DepthNormals extension just for this...
    Tone Mapping: Is this for HDR? cause HDR doesn't work in unity free. so tone-mapping may be useless
    Bokeh: Is this for DOF? or do you want a universal Bokeh for all effects? Either way, i could do this, but it could take a bit of shader writing to achieve this.
    Tagged Effects for layering:Definitely possible. Could take a while though. and this would most likely use a culling mask on the camera itself. (I'd imagine this is what you are referring to?)
    Screen Displacement: I actually aim to do this for rainDrop effects. So i will see how i can implement a parallax offset with a normal map.
    Glow: A possible achievement! I will report back when i have results!

The StarBloom is coming along OK, just got to iron out a few bugs. And lastly, good luck with understanding how shaders work! It took me a while to get a hold of shader programming, and my starting point for the bloom shader was actually done by Tryder - I just extended on top of it. And with the colored starbloom, technically the current bloom effect uses the same algorithm. If you like, i could combine the two... ;) And add the new smoothing algorithm to the shader that i developed today! :)

50. edux404

edux404

@FuzzyQuills Thanks for reply ^_^ I'll test it soon

Cheers