Search Unity

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Not quite. the camera variable, yes, but the shader list isn't needed, as the shaders should be hard-coded into the script. (Or an array of strings!)

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

3. TrollHachem

TrollHachem

Nice Physics :D, Also , how to make lens flares xD

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Oh, I did the lens flare in blender. Basically, line up particles in rows, render... and stick image into flare dialog!

I actually didn't expect a comment about the physics though, as most of my play-throughs end with me flying into the not-there-yet clouds... :D

5. TrollHachem

TrollHachem

Oh , also , is there anyway to get the output result of a material and save it in a texture2D? i want to save a blurred Texture of the current scene :v?

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Other than render camera, then ReadPixels, I have no idea! :)

7. Bradamante

Bradamante

The Depth of Field demo gives me a solid pink screen. The other effects seem to work.

CustoMac. OS X.9.3. GTX 760 Ti. Firefox 32.0.1.

None of the effects work for me ... error every frame:

Code (csharp):
    1. Trying to read pixels out of bounds
    2. UnityEngine.Texture2D:ReadPixels(Rect, Int32, Int32)
    3. IndieEffects:OnPreRender() (at Assets/IndieEffects/Classes/IndieEffects.js:106)
    I just added the script to the UFPS camera and hit play. Maybe my multi-monitor setup?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Oh! A multi-monitor setup? I don't have a mac, but since Windows can use extended desktop, I may have to test his case. I didn't even think of testing multi-monitor support, so when I get time, (School holidays drawing near, so you're in luck! :p) I will test IndieEffects with multi-monitors!

BTW, if you have your texture size higher than either the width or the height of the game window, it will throw this error. try dropping the texture size and see what happens! :)

And a solid pink screen... pitty I don't have a mac, I haven't seen this prob before, so it's probably an OpenGL issue.

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, i tested the webplayer on this end, works fine. so it is certainly a problem with GL.

And did you mean 10.9.3 for your OSX version? I can't find it anywhere... o_O

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Also, would it be legal if you gave me a virtualization image of OSX? it would be the only practical method to test this case because, as I said before, I don't have a mac. (Been considering getting one though for the sake of publishing to iPhone... :D) And windows OpenGL mode is very unstable, so that's out.

EDIT: Oh wait, I could use LINUX to test this case, since it's openGL too. Ok, I will go offline for a few minutes, then I will come back with results!

11. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

I am using windows and am getting a solid pink screen aswell... only see the SSAO outlining... all I really want is DoF and sun shafts to make my forests epic ;-;

12. Terra-Sanctum

Terra-Sanctum

Your shader is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Im also getting the pink screen when I enable the Depth of Field, Im on Windows 8.

Another question I have, is it normal get these two errors when I import the asset pack?
    Assets/IndieEffects/Classes/MotionblurModern/ObjectBlur.js(15,55): BCE0019: 'rootBone' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Renderer'.
    Assets/IndieEffects/Classes/SSAO_C5100.js(40,20): BCE0019: 'SetInt' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Material'.

I could only get it running after deleting the scripts above (I read the motion blur isnt working right now, so I deleted it, not sure about the other script tho).

Thanks!

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Terra Sanctum: the ObjectBlur being deleted was the way to go, since it isn't being used, but the SSAO's throwing errors? it doesn't on my end! the other script, "SSAO_C5100" is the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion effect, and shouldn't be deleted, or throwing errors like that.

Try setting your build target to a different one; that seems to correct some weird issues on some machines. also, which download did you use?

14. Sykoo

Sykoo

Is there a way of getting Sun Shafts for unity free? I have prefabs with sunshafts but I want them to literally register on the light source (diectional light) in my game :(

15. Bradamante

Bradamante

Hm,

setting the size to 1024 or 512 helped, I can test things in my test scene now. Generally things look totally pixelated (512 more than 1024, obviously, 1920x1200 native monitor resolution).

_ When I only have the Base script on my camera, the picture remains unchanged, but FPS go from 50-60 to 10-15, size at 1024.
    _ FXAAPresetB makes Unity crash when entering Play mode. Preset A tanks my FPS, darkens everything.
    _ SSAO tanks my FPS, no visible change with several settings.
    _ Vignetting tanks my FPS, nice drunken/damaged effect
    _ DoF darkens everything, tanks my FPS, blurrs everything beyond recognition (I have no idea if I am just too stupid to use it right)
    _ When I use Color Correction with default settings the picture (again) gets very dark, tanks my FPS.

It would be nice if the manual was more detailled. I have no idea what I am doing. How many of those public variables do I have to actually set to get results?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Bradamante: I will be uploading a change soon that is going to blast my so-called 'new' texture system out of the water! Thanks to one of the geniuses here, I got an approach with normalized viewport rect working, that performs at an amazing speed and looks better!

BTW, try testing at lower res, as this pack doesn't handle 1080p (or anything close to that) very well... :(

Oh, and if you got the github version, it has nthing set, as it is a .zip! if you want everything to be set up by default, then try the .unitypackage. BTW, I can PM the SSAO settings, as they work over here fine.

Might also be time I did a re-write of the whole framework, as it is a bit too intensive for what it is... :D fortunately, I couldn't have picked a better time, as school holidays are just around the corner! :)

And I am sorry for the lack of docs... That's what happens when you're swamped with both Unity projects AND Yr 11 homework... :D

@Sykoo: try a thread dig here; as far as I know, FrostBite23 has a sun shafts shader lying around somewhere in this thread... :D

17. Andexx

Andexx

Hi! I have a problem: The Immage effects is doesn't work. When I put the effects on my camera, it appear disabled and I have an error. How I resolve it? Sorry for my bad english! Error.png Untitled2.png

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Andexx: this doesn't use the PostEffectsBase, that's pro-only! ;)

Use the base IndieEffects.js script, together with a post effect from my pack to use it.

EDIT: Also, REMOVE THE PRO IMAGE EFFECTS! This fixes a lot of problems, as this pack won't work with pro image effects installed! :)

19. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hey! I only found IndieSKY from Frostbite32, nothing else :( If you could find it I'd be super-glad :D

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Oh dear...
    this probably means FrostBite23 hasn't actually released it yet!
    I will PM him and see if I can get an earlier version of the shader to tweak and send! As it is, he is a guy still in school. (And by the sounds of what he has told me lately, very very busy... :D)

21. Sykoo

Sykoo

Alright, thank you so much for the hlep! :D
    I am in school too, hehe!

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Sykoo: Heh...
    Can say the same for me too. Almost out of it though! (Me in yr11!)

And hlep... that was waht my mum typed into the recovery console on xp once by accident! :D

Sykoo likes this.
  23. Gogin

Gogin

24. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hey! Awesome game, I think blur would fit perfectly with the game.

Though I got a few questions:

What do you use to get those small white particles all over the place in the forest?
    How do you get that good reflection on the TV's backside and on the terrain?
    What textures are you using for terrain? It looks super good!

25. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

I hope you haven't forgotten me yet lol

I'm using Windows, tried switching platforms... Nothing :( DoF still gives me a solid pink screen...

And I'm relieved that frostbite didn't actually post the link yet, I literally spent 2 hours looking through this thread for the sun shafts and started to go insane lol

Please help me. I'm lost xD

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@aleichert: Were you the one having problems with DoF on a macintosh machine? If so, I would like you to select the shader in the project window, look in the inspector, and snapshot it for me. this way, I can track down the problem with the shader.

I also suggest you try the same effect in a new project, as sometimes, people are having problems, and it turns out it's a conflict in the project itself, not this package. Also, try the other DoF shader, there's two of them. (Different blur types, ya see? :D)

BTW, Don't worry, once someone reminds me, I usually remember who's who! :)

@Gogin: Possibly... but it depends, I have been so considering ringing out the whole script, and putting in the fastest texture system I can get. (The reason it's so cluttered in parts is due to having to support so many texture systems! Also drops the performance somewhat... ;)) Plus, the fact it's now on github means if someone wants to make a change, they can literally do the pull request, and I (Or Eric2241, he and I work together on this now!) simply check and accept it! :)

And in actual fact, this pack isn't complete yet either, I still need to bring up Frosty and ask if he can give me the rest of the shaders he ported earlier, as he hasn't had much time to do the posting himself... o_O

EDIT: Actually, I know ALL of my friends would like this sort of game, so I will get them to test it! :)

27. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

May I ask to stop using Google docs for sharing? It's like the 3rd time I try to download something, even from different files, and it always says that the file's already been downloaded too much!

May I suggest Mega.co.nz? Zippyshare?

28. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

No, just... no xD
    Thanks for replying though. Tried switching projects, everything. Sadly, nothing changed.

29. AcexSpade

AcexSpade

Hi !

I have downloaded the folder from the Git project, but when it's imported I can't put the Indie cs script on my camera, it says that the component does not exist!

What do I do wrong ?

Thx !

30. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thats a common bug/error with Unity. Try to relaunching Unity.

31. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Could anyone please provide another mirror for the main file? I'm having difficulties with google docs

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    NeatWolf likes this.
  33. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks, today both work, I can't show you any evidence! :D

Does that file get updated from time to time or has the project halted?

34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@NeatWolf: Well, it hasn't been updated in ages, as I have been working on other things lately. But I still wish to make a version that works on mobiles, so it isn't the end yet! ;)
    And maybe a network problem did it? :D

35. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

While you're at it, you might aswell look into the DoF and ask frostbite about the sunshafts ^^
    Sorry to bug you, but this seems just too good to miss!

36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@aleichert: Pitty I don't have a mac... :D
    Actually, happen to have screenshots of this problem? I may have asked this before, but scan in the inspector for me with the DoF selected, that way, I can track down any errors it finds.

37. ploca14

ploca14

I have this problem when i add vignette :( can someone help me ?
    ScreenShot029.jpg

38. SlonCHL

SlonCHL

Hey there, my game is written in C#, any disadvantages for me to use this with a C# game? Also, when do you plan to release a C# version? I'm really looking forward to it

39. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Thats not an error, its vignette blur. Not just vignette

40. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

Ehm... I am still using Windows if that's what you mean. Otherwise, pitty I don't have one aswell :p

I currently have 4.6 beta installed and can't switch back to the stable 3 because my internet is real slow atm and somehow won't download the installer... lol, I'll have to check what's wrong there, maybe too many devices are draining my bandwithd.

Though I recall having the exact same problems as these two:
    Basically, I believe this is not just me and might be a problem with
    • A Unity Update
    • Certain program versions (This visual c++ stuff everybody has like 10 installations of or DirectX stuff or so, idk, never looked into this branche so all I can do is suggest to think into this direction lol)
    • The script itself :eek:
    I do not mean to rush you, but seeing that I am not the only one getting a solid pink screen (there are probably more than just us three burried somewhere in this thread) this is a problem that might should be concidered as a higher priority...

Fun fact: I said like two or three times that I am using windows and you kept referring to me using mac. Read this text slowly so you understand what I mean ;) (don't get angry at me, please lol, I often get missunderstood...)

41. ploca14

ploca14

and how do i make just vignette

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@FlyManCZ:
    that is actually really easy!
    Just use this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var vignette : Texture2D;
    2. var mat : Material;
    3. var shader : Shader;
    5. function Start () {
    6. shader = new Shader("shader "Custom/VignetteBlend" {
    7. Properties {
    8. _MainTex ("Texture", 2D) = "black" {}
    9. }
    11. SubShader {
    12. Pass{
    13. blend SrcColor OneMinusSrcColor
    14. SetTexture[_MainTex] {combine texture}
    15. }
    16. }
    17. }");
    18. mat = new Material (shader);
    19. }
    21. function OnGUI () {
    22. Graphics.DrawTexture(Rect(0,0,Screen.width,Screen.height), vignette,
    23. }
    Now I literally wrotte this off the top of my head, so let me know promptly of any problems! :D to use it, drop it onto your camera, and assign the vignette texture to the 'vignette' slot.

43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@SlonCHL: there actually was a C# version, but since the last update, the port wasn't done for some reason... :D

Anyway, once i get a major update out, I will promptly port all fo them to C#. And no, there are no disadvantages with using C#: it's exactly the same! :)

SlonCHL likes this.
  44. ploca14

ploca14

I have 2 errors and in inspector it doesnt show the variables :(
    ScreenShot031.png

45. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, fixing it promptly, I knew something wasn't right with it... :D

46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, all done! this should work:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    2. var vignette : Texture2D;
    3. var mat : Material;
    5. function Start () {
    6.     mat = new Material ("shader \"Custom/VignetteBlend\" {" +
    7.     "Properties {" +
    8.     "_MainTex (\"Texture\", 2D) = \"black\" {}" +
    9.     "}" +
    11.     "SubShader {" +
    12.     "Pass{" +
    13.     "blend SrcColor OneMinusSrcColor" +
    14.     "SetTexture[_MainTex] {combine texture}" +
    15.     "}" +
    16.     "}" +
    17.     "}");
    18. }
    20. function OnGUI () {
    21. if (Event.current.type == EventType.Repaint) {
    22.     Graphics.DrawTexture(Rect(0,0,Screen.width,Screen.height), vignette, mat);
    23. }
    24. }
    EDIT: Changed a couple of things. (Shader originally threw syntax error. turns out it was a capital letter... o_O)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@aleichert:
    riight... so you saying WINDOWS is bombing out on this shader?!

Perhaps GFX card details might help? it does need shader model 3.0 to run... :cool: Other than that, I don't know what it could be!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  48. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

Nah, just that I am using windows lol

My GFX card is "NVIDIA GeForce GT (630M with 1GB dedicated VRAM)".
    Also I have shader model 3.0, and, if it's needed to know this, DirectX v11.

49. ploca14

ploca14

It still doesnt work for me my screen is pink :(

50. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@FlyManCZ: What's the error in the console?

@aleichert: try switching to DX9... :D if that fixes it, I will have to find out what DX11 syntax went wrong! :)

If anything, it would have to be this, as your card is way beyond my laptops humble intel graphics, so it has no excuses! :p