Search Unity

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Eric2241

Eric2241

You increase texture size to 512 or 1024

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@DeathWish0987654: Try upping texture resolution. this isn't a bug, it's a compromise designed to increase performance. if you wish to have it pixel-perfect, try the IndieEffects.js from GitHub, it has the option to use the old system, which used the whole screen.

@Eric2241: using the new indieEffects patch in github could make it prettier... ;)

3. moatdd

moatdd

@FuzzyQuills: Great work -- I've been dabbling around with it in my game, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to synergize well with distance fog.

Without effects
    :

I've made it so that the distance fog and the background colors are synchronized to make it appear as if the geometry is fading off into the mist.

With effects (chromatic abberation):

The fog still works on the geometry, but something is going on with the background and now it no longer matches up with the geometry and now people can see how short and stumpy those pillars are! (PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN FFFFF)

4. drw58

drw58

Hi,

Having an issue: I created a new project and unloaded the zip file as instructed. I ran the test scene provided in the preview editor and as soon as I did that, the entire screen comes out pink (can see nothing else. just nothing but pink/magenta). I then disabled the Indie Effects script on the camera, and everything came out normal (but without any of the intended effects).

I then tried it on my own projects and same thing happened -- cameras with the script enabled only display nothing but a pink/magenta screen.

Why is that? I am using current version of Unity with current version of the script (downloaded today) and have not modified the source code in any way.

5. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Did you set the Texture Size? That could be the problem. Set it to something like 256, or 512

6. drw58

drw58

Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a texture size issue. The texture size is set to the original 256 that the Zip file came with. I am running the scene that came with the Zip package from Github.

The preview screen looks like this:

That is from running straight out of the box, with no alterations to the original package. I did change the texture size from the original 256 to 512 after reading your message, but the outcome was the same.

The console does say that the camera is missing a script along with the error message:

"Material doesn't have a texture property '_DepthNormalTex' UnityEngine.Material: .ctor(Shader)"

I assume I'm missing something? Again, I am testing with only the provided zip file, and have added no additional Standard Asset packages.

The missing script is at this location on the main camera:

any advice would be appreciated! thanks in advance.

p.s. the web demo provided works 100% flawlessly for me on this same machine. this is a really amazing package and I wish I could just figure out with I might be doing wrong...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. Eric2241

Eric2241

Disable the dnrequire

8. drw58

drw58

Sorry for the panic, I actually just got it working! -- my stupid mistake. After going through the source code, it suddenly hit me that I forgot to check that the default Build Settings was probably not set to Windows (and indeed it was default as Mac OS). So if anyone not on a Mac is having similar issues with the package out of the box, you probably just have to set up the Build Settings.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the help anyways, Eric! Have you anything in the Asset Store? We'd buy!

9. Eric2241

Eric2241

No problem. I don't but Baldinoboy has a real nice palm tree pack, which I recommend getting, he's also making a new tropical pack that looks amazing which I highly recommend checking out.

10. kaarme

kaarme

Assets/Scripts/huds/GameQualitySettings.js(367,46): BCE0019: 'available' is not a member of 'DepthOfField'.

11. Eric2241

Eric2241

Well that would have to be something in that GameQualitySettings, at line 367. Not something with Indie Effects. Please give us some code. But its most likely due to a forgotten import of indie effects.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply! for some odd reason, my notifications aren't working right...

@vengefulentertainment: Hi, your problem: you are using the .zip version, so you will need to assign the shaders to their respective slots. for the main script, look for the "_NormalsDepth" shader. for any other effect, look in the ShaderDir for the shaders. depth-based fx are in the DNBased folder, normal ones are in the Normal folder. (I think that's what it's called... :D) BTW, one way of simplifying this process is to update unity, and download the .unitypackage instead. this has all shaders assigned automatically.

@moatdd: check if the chromatic abberation shader has fog turned off: I may have done this by accident! if you find a code line that looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. fog { mode off }
    Delete the line, and it should work! :) BTW, love the game, it looks epic!

EDIT: Actually, the line's not there. must be a bug... o_O
    EDIT2: are you using a custom background shader? try posting a screen of the RenderSettings dialog, as this will help diagnose the problem. I also just tried a simple fog simulation on my end, and it appears to work fine.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  13. kaarme

kaarme

Now it says
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:ReadPixels(Rect, Int32, Int32)
    IndieEffects:OnPreRender() (at Assets/IndieEffects/JS Classes/IndieEffects.js:112)
    How to I set up this?

14. Eric2241

Eric2241

Re-download and re import the package from the official git hub repo at https://github.com/GreatArcStudios/UnityIndieEffects

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

...Or, if you have 4.5, get the .unitypackage download, it has everything pre-prepared for you. (anything above 4.5.0 will work, I didn't bother upgrading as it works ok on my laptop! :))

@Eric2241: I will have to re-download IndieEffects from GitHub at some stage or another... ;)

ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL: Motion blur is about to make a return... IN A NEW FORM! I also plan to support per-object blurring, and to do that, I need an expert who knows how to generate vector maps! :)

16. mgear

mgear

Hey, 4.6beta release notes:
    “Graphics: Stencil buffer is now available in Unity Free.”

Could be used for some effects?

17. Eric2241

Eric2241

First off your content sir is amazing, loving the soft shadows! Second I think it could.

18. kaarme

kaarme

I downloaded it. Effect works but I am still getting error.
    [EDIT] Negative works, but almost everything else affects black screen...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  19. 0tacun

0tacun

I created a new pull request to complete the old rendering method integration. Now it supports again depth/normal image effects.

20. Eric2241

Eric2241

Alright, will accept now.

0tacun likes this.
  21. Eric2241

Eric2241

Which error?

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@mgear: WAAAAAAAAT! :eek:

If that's correct.... EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!

EDIT: Would also mean... REFLECTIONS!

@Avash: yea, which error? o_O Please state what's in the console exactly! :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  23. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah it's real!

24. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

For me, Stencil buffer access is a very little gift to Free users :
    stencil buffer is not used for many years, and not very useful :/.
    Possibles effects with it are :
    - Outline effect (per object)
    - Planar pixel-perfect reflections (not bumpy), like mirror (but already possible without it)
    - Shadow Volumes (already possible without it)

25. Eric2241

Eric2241

They probably thought that it was outdated so they phased it off to unity free/indie

26. Berenger

Berenger

Hi guys, I'm back from holidays and ready to port and stuff !

My, my, you've been busy. I'm tooked the repisotory and will commit the C# soon. Could someone tell me what is supposed to work and what not ?

PS : I see some french around here. Hello compatriotes !

27. Berenger

Berenger

All right, I'm done. I did a really simple conversion. I'm working on a separate local branch, but can't push. I need to be a contributor I guess ?

This weekend I will probably take the time to make deeper modification to reduce the amount of code by changing the design, and I'll add some safety. The SSAO pink screen because of DirectX 11 was nasty.

Well, g'night fellows.

28. Eric2241

Eric2241

You'd need to submit a pull request and before that you'd need to fork the repo, hope that helps! Et bonjour Monsieur!

29. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

With the stencil buffer I read something about it making the rendering behind the UI faster. So it will help with the new UI. I thinko_O.

30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Berenger: Cool, ya back! And yes, you need to fork the branch, change the things you want to change in it, then submit pull request to Eric2241 for inspection! ;) Then of course, we merge the two into one. Also for C# porting, please put C# scripts in a separate folder. Also, try naming the AddComponentMenu code something like this: <effect name>_C#, so that the scripts don't get mixed up.

@Cyrien5100: true, but Reliable reflection in Unity indie is really hard to come by... Plus, I might find a decent use for it.

@Baldinoboy: Yes, I heard somewhere that the GUI can be sped up with the stencil buffer. how is that sort of thing rendered in d3d11, though? as far as I know, DirectX has no stencil, but I could be wrong, or behind the times... o_O

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  31. Berenger

Berenger

Alrighty, pull request's up.

32. Sykoo

Sykoo

Mine does not work. It just becomes pink. I've tried with several projects... None of the effects works, please help me :(

33. Eric2241

Eric2241

Will accept the pull request now!

34. Sykoo

Sykoo

Mine does not work. It just becomes pink. I've tried with several projects... None of the effects works, please help me :(

35. Berenger

Berenger

Disable Dx11 in the player settings.

Speaking of which, I just finished (sort of) a version with a lot of cleaning of the C# version (the previous one was a simple translation JS -> C#). I factorised, cleaned, improved etc. To merge with more care than the previous one ;)

36. Sykoo

Sykoo

I found a older version of this file and its working perfectly :) Anyway, please let me know when you upload update.

37. Eric2241

Eric2241

The github repo should always have the newest version.

38. Sykoo

Sykoo

Ok, thanks :)

39. Spontz

Spontz

Where do you change color space to gamma? I can't find it.

40. Eric2241

Eric2241

Player settings->other settings->find the linear or gamma settings.

41. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The newer versions of Unity free do not even have gamma/linear options. So it will always be gamma. Unless you are using an older version.

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Sykoo: What were your problems exactly? Just saying "the scripts won't work" isn't all that helpful... :D

Either way though, the .unitypackage has everything pre-configured, if you are having any troubles. note, however, it requires 4.5.0 minimum to work. (I use it, so it will need 4.5 to work. the GitHub download should work on anything above 4.0)

43. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hey

No problem, I got it working now :)

44. Berenger

Berenger

I didn't find this asset on the asset store, maybe you could add it there to reach more people ?

45. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Berenger: true! But where do you apply? (Never published anything there, so I have no idea how to... :D)

@Sykoo: cool! Nice to hear. If you come up with anything awesome, I would like to see it!

What kind of game are you making? :D

46. Berenger

Berenger

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Once I get time, I may look into asset store publishing for this. Once I do, I will let you guys know about it. :)

BTW, I have... SUCCESSFULLY MADE A LINUX MASTERSERVER!!! MWAHAHAHA! :) ;) :eek: :D

EDIT: Also, typing this from computer it's running on!

48. Eric2241

Eric2241

Wow!! That is cynical! ;):)

49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... :D (Hope you were being sarcastic... unless google's definition of "cynical" is wrong!)

EDIT: BTW, Love the double face! :cool::rolleyes:

50. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yeah, that was sarcastic!

unityunity