Search Unity

Indie Game Assets

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ian-mac, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ian-mac

ian-mac

I've finally got my site live :D

www.indiegameassets.com

This is a bit of a soft launch as I don't want to go fully public for the next month or so until I have some stock in all the categories I have planned.

Currently it's all textures but there will eventually be models included as well.

It's taken a while to get the store built and the first batch of products in. I'll be continually adding more assets to build the store into the best resource for cheap, high quality assets for use in indie games.

I'd love if you guys could take some time to have a look around and send me some feedback via the contact page of anything you'd like to see added. No promises, but I'll do my best to get the most requested assets created and online. Feedback on pricing, general usability of the store, performance issues and any bugs would be great too! The first 20 members to register will also get a little bonus credit attached to their accounts.

Make sure you check out the web players that are available for every asset.

Sign up for the RSS feeds and newsletter if you'd like to know when new assets are in stock too.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look,

Ian.

2. seon

seon

Good stuff! Hope you get plenty of business from the community here!

3. Discord

Discord

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but let me throw it out anyway.

Can the textures purchased from your site be tiled without modification? Or would that be something I would have to do myself in photoshop?

4. ian-mac

ian-mac

Thanks for the comments :)

All the textures in the tiling section can be dropped in and tiled without modification. The spheres that display the textures in the web players are tiled 6 times around the circumference.

There's still a few spots left for account registrations to receive a store credit (enough for 2 textures) so feel free to sign up and download one to try it out.

Thanks

Ian :)

5. seon

seon

Hey, I just signed up then, but did not receive any store credit :(

6. ian-mac

ian-mac

The credits have to be added manually so I've just done it and sent you an email :) it should be showing up in your user account now.

7. seon

seon

Awesome, just used it plus a bit more and bought some of your cool skyboxes!

8. Dakta

Dakta

This looks quite promising!

Will there eventually be models, scripts, UnityPackages, or other items? If so, you've definitely gone in the right direction!

Wish you luck! (I will probably buy something at some point)

9. Discord

Discord

Well, I signed up. Hope I get some credit! :D

And if you start adding models/animations/packages, I will definitely make a purchase or two.

10. caitlyn

caitlyn

Ian, great idea!

How about a discount for your friends at Unity Technologies? :)

11. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Looks promising, but it's a bit off-putting to have to enter phone number and an address for a place where you buy downloads. :?

12. Sammual

Sammual

I am fine with the address but the phone number was almost a deal breaker for me (I only have a cell phone).

Sammual

13. yuroobutton

yuroobutton

Within moments of browsing your site, I had immediately recognized that essentially all of your textures are coming off Filter Forge.

While there is absolutely nothing illegal about this, it does seem you just rendered off higher resolution maps of the standard variations then the free thumbnails off the site, rather then creating the individual filters procedures yourself.

Filter Forge, realizing people would probably try this, actually allows for people to buy the procedures on an individual basis (for <6USD each, allowing infinite variations and higher resolution then those presented), or for slightly more you would be able to render these textures yourself.

http://www.filterforge.com/buy/

Example texture on the site:
    http://www.indiegameassets.com/products/Organic-004.html#

Filter forge and variations:
    http://www.filterforge.com/filters/218.html

For everyone else: If you're fine with 512x512px versions, you can get them free from the Filter Forge site without even having the tool, and you can purchase the tool if you'll be using high volumes of textures to render them for yourself.

14. ian-mac

ian-mac

Hi Yuroobutton,

You are correct that for the current titling textures I have used Filter Forge to create them. Most of the filters I have used I have tweaked and made variations to one degree or another where as others I have created from scratch. The Organic one you linked I pretty much kept the same as I liked it so much but I have been making changes to every filter I have been using. Filter Forge have no problem with people selling on any textures created with there software and encourage it, that's what it's there for after all.

The $6 version (that's per filter) that you can buy from them does not allow you to render bump, diffuse and normal maps so you're left with just the full colour render. You're looking at paying $209 for the version that allows the render of the extra channels and I wanted to offer something more than what people can get for free which is why mine are all high resolution (2048x2048), maximum quality and contain a full color render, diffuse, bump, normal and specular maps.

I also use Vue for creating the skyboxes (and modo for one) and some of those are based off presets but again adjusted till I'm happy with them.

All that said the textures are just one part and I felt it was a great way for people to save some time (they do take a while to make) and money. Hopefully once the site grows you'll have more of an idea where I'm headed with things.

Thanks for having a look your feedback. This was after all the kind of thing I wanted to hear :)

Ian

P.S. I'll have a look today at removing the mandatory option for the phone number and address on the account sign up :)

15. Slem

Slem

I think this is a great idea and I hope you get a lot of customers. Good luck.

16. Yann

Yann

Filter Forge is great. Amazing. A real must-have for all of us. At least, this thread helps Unity users to discover it... so thanks for that :roll:

17. minevr

minevr

I get it skybox~~ :D

18. Wadoman

Wadoman

Filter Forge is great and another one which I originaly thought these textures came from is Genetica
    http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ I use this and works great as well.

19. MentalFish

MentalFish

Love the name and url of your site, textures are really good too!

One nitpicky crit would be html validation:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.indiegameassets.com

Apart from that, good stuff, you've been bookmarked

Filterforge looks like a good foundation for creating all sorts of textures... hmm, credit card in hand...

20. Tom163

Tom163

Great idea, and I wish you the best of luck.

One remark about the skyboxes, though: I personally don't use skyboxes that blend out at the horizon anymore. I've found out that it helps tremendeously if the skybox contains an actual horizon, with some far-distance mountains or whatever. I know that in most games that'll vanish in the fog anyways,

21. ian-mac

ian-mac

Good Idea. I could do some overlays with alpha channels to go over the sky boxes so you could mix and match (distant cities, mountains forests).

I've been a bit busy the last few weeks with other work so not had much of a chance to finish of some of the space themed skys and models I've been working on.

Here's one of the planets I've been doing:

and a render of some hires asteroids that I've been working on that will be converted to low poly objects:

Click image for larger version

The phone number requirement has been removed from the registration page now too. I decided to keep the address though as it helps me with my accounting (that's fun).

I'll look into fixing the HTML validation too, thanks :)

22. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

The site looks really good - I wish you much success with it!

-Will

PS - I LOVE those asteroids, btw!

23. Tom163

Tom163

That's a great idea. I like that a lot.

24. Rapzid

Rapzid

Ian! It's RazorX from the luxology forums. Congrats on the new site! I like how you can view the textures in a unity web app. Everything looks real slick!