Search Unity

Incremental Grid Snapping completely unusable

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Minos321, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Minos321

Minos321

Hi!

I'm trying to use just the incremental grid snapping, and this tool is completely unusable for modular level design purposes. Here are a few problems with it:

1) When you scale objects with incremental scaling, the values are relative instead of fixed. Meaning, that instead of adding or removing .125, the scaling does some weird math relative to the current scale, which makes it impossible to line up objects. Moreover, when you incrementally scale a few times, the scale number in Transform gets all broken up into small decimals.

Solution: This tool should work as it does in Unreal Engine. With each use, it adds or removes the increment number. Example: If your snapping increment is 0.125, by scaling up, you should get numbers like 4.0, 4.125, 4.25, 4.5, 4.75, 5, etc...

2) Incremental move is also broken. You use it a few times, and the transform gets broken up into decimals.

3) Incremental rotation: This one works great and as intendend.

Does anyone know what are the plans for proper grid snapping? It would be great if Unity could just copy the functionality from Unreal Engine, it works great there and never gives broken-up decimals.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Speed60580 likes this.
  2. Querke

Querke

1) Yup, this is super annoying. I have a custom script that scales an object with increments. But it's not perfect, it is quite janky if the the object doesn't have the same scale on all axis.

2) For incremental move to work as expected, it has to be "on the grid" before you start moving it. The incremental move, just adds the increments to the existing values (it does not actually snap it on the grid). Also, if the object is rotated before moving, the incremental move cannot keep it "on the grid".

HOWEVER, this is where grid snapping comes in!
    You can use grid snapping to force an object to "be on the grid". It will always snap the object to the grid on the axis you move it, even if it starts with a random position with decimals.
    For the grid to work, the "Tool handle rotation" has to be set to global (the button second from left in the toolbar on the image).
    upload_2022-9-13_15-37-34.png

Another thing I'd like unity to implement, is something like I have implemented here, but have it seamlessly integrated into the editor.
    upload_2022-9-13_15-41-46.png
    It is just a simple overlay, so I don't have to open the grid/incremental snap windows all the time. Plus it is simpler to have plus/minus buttons for changing the grid, instead of adding values manually