Search Unity

1. Curious about what's going to be in 2021.1? Have a look at the 2021.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Incredibly slow import

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by transat, May 20, 2020.

1. transat

transat

Keen to try out b11. I opened my b10 project in b11 about 8 hours ago. It’s now half way through “iteration 4” of the import procedure.

My project is big but not huge. It usually takes this long when I delete the library folder but not for an upgrade to the editor. Is 8 hours normal? I don’t know what’s a bug and what’s by design with Unity anymore. Any other app and I would have thrown my laptop out the window after an hour.

So my question is...

Is this process so slow because of a memory leak and should I hence force quit and relaunch the editor... or should I just keep on cursing for a while longer?
    My project is big but not huge.

2. mgear

mgear

check editor.log if it shows any info what its currently doing.

i watched Unite video about this game, they said something like, import time was 2 days (before they optimized it)

transat likes this.
  3. transat

transat

Thanks @mgear. Useful video.

In my case though, the console seemed fine. It’s just that after a quick start, the import slowed and eventually took 1-3 seconds per asset (multiply that quite a few times and the frustration builds!). After waiting for another couple of hours and seeing no end in sight, I did a force quit and a restart. It then took a few seconds to finish the import. So there’s clearly some kind of memory leak or bug of some kind at the Unity end.

phobos2077 likes this.
unityunity