Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Incredibly high CPU usage, low GPU usage

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Osirius, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Osirius

Osirius

Hi
    This is kind of a 2 part question:

I recently upgraded to the Unity 5 beta 10 hoping 64bit would solve some of the problems I've been having but now I'm having a very strange problem indeed that I can't find any information about.

Whenever I create a new terrain, regardless of size, I get 2 processes appearing in my Task Manager called "JobProcess.exe". I can't find any information about this process but they both use over 1GB of Memory each and, from messing with the CPU affinity I've found that just one of them bumps my CPU usage to 100% across all cores (AMD 8350 8-core). Bare in mind, this happens with a completely blank 500x500 terrain. Weirdly, if I go into "editor/data/tools64" and rename the JobProcess.exe so it doesn't run, my CPU usage drops down to around 20% and I notice absolutely no drop in performance. What exactly does this process do?

I've also been experimenting with converting other projects I was working with and, 100% cpu aside, performance does indeed seem better, but another problem I'm still having (had this problem in old versions of Unity also) is that the Unity Editor still barely uses my GPU at all. In a big project that's starting to get very laggy, my GPU usage never exceeds 30%.

I know that we're going to be experiencing bugs in these betas but as I can't find any information at all about the process I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them :)

Thanks

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

JobProcess.exe is spawned by the editor and does lighting calculations for Enlighten. Currently, the default lightmap resolution for terrain is set very high but expect a later beta version to dial the default down. Have a look here for details on lowering the lightmap resolution on terrains http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/20...-calculation-20-gib-data.276531/#post-1827683
    You can switch to on demand mode in the Lightmapping window if you want to control when baking is done, instead of having it running in the background.

3. Osirius

Osirius

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a go later and see if it helps :)

Should Unity be spawning 2 of these processes though?

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Yes, 2 instances of JobProcess.exe is by design. They do different work.

shkar-noori likes this.
  5. Osirius

Osirius

Ok thanks :)