Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Incorrect harmonics computed for some lightprobe positions. Is it a bug or is there a workaround?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by TheHellTerrier, Aug 17, 2015.

1. TheHellTerrier

TheHellTerrier

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why I keep getting incorrect lighting on a small fraction of my light probes as can be seen in the attached image. I'm using 5.1.2F1 64bit on Windows 8.1 and I have artificially increased the size of the probe gizmos to make them more visible.

Unity Light Probe Weirdness.jpg
    My lighting scripts basically flood the level with probes and then remove probes in areas where the light remains relatively constant. This appears to work well but minor glitches in the harmonics calculated for some of the probes means that the lighting on my vehicle seems to flicker needlessly whether I optimise them or not.

Some probes are completely black, some look like they're upside down and others just don't seem to sit well with their surrounding probes even when out in the open with nothing else around them.

Does anyone know what's wrong? Is there a minimum distance probes can be placed to geometry or is there anything else I can do to improve the results?

2. TheHellTerrier

TheHellTerrier

Ahh, found it. Everything looks much better now.
    Capture.PNG