Search Unity

inconsistent line endings

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by hjbaard, Feb 6, 2010.

1. hjbaard

hjbaard

I'm using Unity 3D in combination with Visual Studio 2008 on a Windows 7 64 bit system.

When saving a cs file in Visual Studio and returning to Unity 3D I always get the following warning:

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'someFileName.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Unitron and other text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

I've seen that more people have this problem but they all are using OS X.

How can I fix this problem on my Windows machine?

UPDATE:
    OK, I fixed the problem by replacing the NewBehaviourScript.cs that is located in Unity\Editor\Data\Resources
    By creating a new script using Windows it contains only CrLf for new lines. So now when I create a new cs script in Unity and edit it in Visual Studio all the line endings are the same. So no more warnings :)

2. Cyclops

Cyclops

Good fix. I had been changing the newlines each time I created a new script, didn't realize the template script was somewhere I could edit once and for all. :)

John C>
    "For all your days, prepare, and meet them ever alike;
    When you are the anvil, bear - when the hammer, strike."

Vasileios_P and lolgamer_ro like this.
  3. PatHightree

PatHightree

Awesome, I wish I could upvote this.
    Thanks for sharing :)

4. LVBen

LVBen

Sweet!

5. acollins

acollins

What do you mean by "creating a new script using Windows it contains only CrLf for new lines"? How do you actually do this?

6. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I assume you just have to open the NewBehaviourScript.cs script in VS, and then save it.

Muntaha_Islam likes this.
  7. LEDWORKS

LEDWORKS

Create a new class in visual studio and set it up in the same way as the default NewBehaviourScript.cs.
    Do not copy and paste as you will most likely copy the line endings too, thus undoing your efforts.
    It is possible Unity does this so that other OS's IDE's 'understand' the script too.

Line endings by the way are the characters that text editors interpret as a new line.
    "/n" or "/r" for example.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    sophinstha123 likes this.
  8. grimprophecy

grimprophecy

IMO the best solution for this problem is not to change the default Monobehaviour script, as in the case you want to share the project, it means you have to ensure they have the same setup as you, or change their default line endings in mono etc which will only hassle potential team mates. Instead what I did was get an addon for VS called "Strip'em"(http://www.grebulon.com/software/stripem.php), it allows you the option to force Unix (the default mono) line endings on save (without having to change settings each time).

olgapavldobrovol, Aggressor and jwinn like this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

The easiest way to change the line endings without having to modify anything in VS is to go to the File > Advanced Save Options. In the Advanced Save Options window, under Line endings drop down, select the line ending you want to use and click OK. Then save the script again; this will automatically change the line endings in your script when you save it. When you go back into Unity, the error will disappear.

ezed1, owyang, ilmario and 44 others like this.
  10. Valvados

Valvados

prefer to change the C# template as it has not neat formatting anyway.

Harinezumi likes this.
  11. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

In VS 2013, reopen the file in VS itself and a popup will ask you to convert line endings. Just select crlf there.

ilmario, hektorj, pyshist4 and 11 others like this.
  12. crandellbr

crandellbr

Finally, no more popups in Visual Studio! I already knew of the script templates, but last time I was only looking to add common using directives like System.Collections.Generic. I wasn't paying attention to how the code was clumped up on one line, a sure giveaway that the template had non-Windows endings. I just upgraded to 4.6 and had to edit the template again when it finally hit me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  13. cmcpasserby

cmcpasserby

Just use stripem, or if you know only windows users using vs will be editing you could also change the template.

http://www.grebulon.com/software/stripem.php

I opted to just use stripem to force unix style endings since some people I work with use mono, and that I will sometimes use gvim to do fast edits.

Also a other option is most version control systems like git, can enforce a certain kinda kind ending on commit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Yaten_Kou, jwinn and crandellbr like this.
  14. Elixir

Elixir

I'm using VisualStudio 2012 to write my scripts and I used to get these warnings.
    To solve the problem just go to your scripts in VS and do:
    Edit > Advanced > Format Document

That will stop the warnings.

15. Jeromeyers

Jeromeyers

Awesome, I love the direct fixing of the line endings in the script template. Both addresses the problem at the root and opens up new possibilities!

16. meowFlute

meowFlute

17. jwinn

jwinn

To elaborate on this technique, it does work, but it will only apply to the current file. There unfortunately does not seem to be a per project line ending setting built in (at least in the free Visual Studio 2013), which is why people are using the Strip'em add-in linked above.

Note that this add-in sets the line endings globally (all files, all projects), so you would need to disable/enable it if you're switching between projects that have both Windows and Linux line endings. Strip-em it is!

18. Wolfram

Wolfram

This. Thank you, this is what I was looking for, and it fixes the problem, without using any workarounds, and you can still have a mixed team of Mac and Windows developers working together.

EDIT: Damn! Seems I was partying too soon. As others wrote, this setting does not appear to be permanent, is maybe on a per-file basis, and even if I re-open "Advanced Save Options" immediatly, it doesn't show the setting I chose, but merely says "Current Setting", without stating what that setting is.
    To make a long story short, I now also installed Stick'em. The only weird thing seems to be that now the files are saved as ASCII, not as UTF-8. But that should be OK for source code.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  19. Mattias_Timonen

Mattias_Timonen

That's the kind of solution we wanted to see! Using the options at hand without the need for downloading scritps and add-in's or whatever. thank you!

20. dlqx

dlqx

thanks, that's the trick :)

21. Toadwolf

Toadwolf

If you are looking for NewBehaviourScript.cs in order to change the line endings permanently (which is my preferred solution), the name and location has changed. It is now

Editor\Data\Resources\ScriptTemplates\81-C# Script-NewBehaviourScript.cs.txt

You can change the line endings as described above using Visual Studio, or in Notepad++ using Edit > Format Line Endings > Convert to ... (whatever you prefer).

EbalStudios, Alverik and LeftyRighty like this.
  22. Yaten_Kou

Yaten_Kou

SWEEEEET!!!

23. YahooAnswers

YahooAnswers

Thank you! This is the most sensible suggestion here.

24. VamossVoar

VamossVoar

In Visual Studio 2012:
    File
    > Advanced Save Options
    In "Line endings" select "Unix (LF)"

25. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

notepad++ have moved the option for this, it's now: "edit > EOL conversion > <whateveryouwant> format"

26. scortillion

scortillion

I prefer this answer, thanks.

27. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

In Visual Studio 2015:

ToolOptionsEnvironmentsDocumentsCheck for consistent line ending on load.

It will then propose you to convert line ending on opening. Then just open the files and save them.

This worked for me, never got the error again

khrysller, lliF, etzl and 4 others like this.
  28. lmov

lmov

Great Solution!! very good!!

29. yagodar

yagodar

omg! awesome solution! you saved my days in change Advanced Save Options each time I create script!! :):):)

30. HobbyBobby

HobbyBobby

Thank you, that fixed it in my Visual Studio 2010.

31. Govind-Krishna

Govind-Krishna

Thank you so much! This helped

32. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Strin'em is supposed to do the trick. If you don't like it you can uninstall it vis the Tools->Extensions and Updates Installed tab.

33. MetricsGaming

MetricsGaming

But I cannot save the text document in Unity\Editor\Data\Resources\ScriptTemplates in unity5.6beta

34. synapsemassage

synapsemassage

To save this file you need to execute visual studio with administrator rights.

35. hoyle-a

hoyle-a

Thanks for this information. The add-in you mentioned was not compatible with Visual Studio 2017, so for those in the same boat i found this add-in on the Visual Studio Marketplace and it installed and seems to work like a charm. Line Endings Unifier by Jakub Bielawa
    https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=JakubBielawa.LineEndingsUnifier

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Denis1701 likes this.
  36. Mr_Jun

Mr_Jun

But I could'nt find Advanced Sace Options in visual studio

37. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

If you are on VS 2017 I dont think its there any more.
    Seek another solution, there are more posted in this thread.

38. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

it's just in the "save as" options now (not that that makes much sense...)

upload_2017-6-20_18-51-37.png

azsilver likes this.
  39. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

Ah nice catch, I would never have seen that.

40. gig6

gig6

Just opening the script with Visual Studio in the directory above and saving it (no changes to the file) fixed the problem for me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    etzl likes this.
  41. churi24

churi24

File>Advanced Save Settings on Line Ending -> Windows (CR LF)

42. guavaman

guavaman

Edit: Actually, I was wrong. Here's the real cause:

Here's another annoying case. If you create a .shader file that's saved with Windows line endings and Unity modifies it silently by changing some code, for example, // Upgrade NOTE: replaced 'mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP,*)' with 'UnityObjectToClipPos(*)', the changes made by Unity will have Unix/OSX line endings while the rest stays Windows.

Even if you use preprocessor #ifs to denote that some code is for an older version of Unity (for example in a product on the Asset Store), Unity will still "upgrade" the code inside the #if. The only solution if you have a shader that has to support old versions of Unity is to save it with Unix/OSX line endings so the upgrade doesn't trigger the warning. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  43. RyanFavale

RyanFavale

Awesome. Thank you!

44. jeremytm

jeremytm

Hey everyone. We have a team where some of us are using Mac and some are using Windows. As someone on a Mac, when I update to the latest project code via Unity Collab, Unity automatically updates certain files, usually meta files and especially editor related files and converts the line endings to Mac/Unix.

This results in many files being marked as changed, and ready to publish.

How can I set Unity to either:

1. not care about line endings, or
    2. don't change line endings from DOS to Unix, or
    3. only use DOS line endings if Unity really must update certain files

(More of the team uses Windows than Mac so we may as well stick with Windows).

45. Stomplab

Stomplab

open your file in visual studio, a pop-up will ask you what line endings you want to use. Simply chose Windows and make sure that the "show each time" box is ticked.

46. isrra007

isrra007

elnaggaraya97 likes this.
  47. JackofTraes

JackofTraes

Uhh...there is a much easier fix. Rather than using plugins or manually saving each file, do the following.

At the start of your Unity project, simply follow this path:

Edit > Project Settings > Editor > Line Endings For New Scripts (bottom of list in the inspector)

Then choose what you want in drop-down menu. I'd imagine that most would need "Windows" option. For me, this solved my problems in a matter of seconds - no downloads or file editing required. Hope this helps.

IgorLugosi and dpashutskii like this.
  48. Ian094

Ian094

What version of Unity do you use? Because I don't see this.

What I usually do to fix this very annoying problem is go onto Advanced Save Options in Visual Studio, select Line Endings, then save the script.

Himangshu likes this.
  49. guavaman

guavaman

This is great to know, but you do realize this is a brand new feature? Look at the docs page for 2017.2:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.2/Documentation/Manual/class-EditorManager.html

Then 2017.3 version:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.3/Documentation/Manual/class-EditorManager.html

The last post in this thread was before 2017.3 was even out.

keenan22 and Ian094 like this.
  50. JackofTraes

JackofTraes

I am currently using 2017.3.0f3 and it should be at the bottom of the following list:

CodeRonnie, Mazzylm, granit and 7 others like this.