Search Unity

Including free package to paid package.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by stanislav-osipov, Jul 28, 2013.

1. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Hello.
    I have a policy question.
    I am working on asset store package with will require iTween for wrok. What is the best way to deal with it, without breaking EULA of course.

* Simply include it in package and make note in description that it requires iTween.
    * Only make note that package requires iTween and add link to the iTween Asset Store page.
    * Include iTween script to the package but rename it, to avoid conflict if customer already have it inside project.

Thanks.

2. chingwa

chingwa

I've seen examples on the store that require NGUI in order to work... this is simply stated in the asset description... and you assume people will actually read that before they buy it.

I'm pretty sure if you include iTween with your upload it will be rejected, at least it should be.

3. Socrates

Socrates

To distribute another person's work with your package, you will need that person's permission. While there are some code packages out there that specifically grant anyone a license to distribute them, many do not allow you to redistribute. Just because something is free as in "free beer" does not mean it is free as in "you're free to package it up and sell it".

You can always contact the iTween author and ask for permission. Otherwise, best practice would probably be to note that the package requires iTween and put a link to the store page.

4. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Thx for advises. I guess contacting author will be best practice here.

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

iTween is licensed under an MIT license you can just about do whatever you want with it as long as you include the original attributions/license*

* technically the asset store might have an issue with mixed licensing on paid products however in reality it's fine there are many packages which include iTween.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's released under the BSD license, so you can include it, as long as you leave the notice in the header file. However, I would recommend you change the namespace in order to minimize possible conflicts.

7. mgear

mgear

Then what happens if iTween gets update/bug fix, and you have included "old" version..?

8. blaze

blaze

I have a question like yours...
    What about an Asset that uses the free version of Aron Granberg A* Pathfinding or uses RAIN{indie}?
    I will sell some things done with free assets, then, I can sell my work that uses free assets in the base?

9. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Good call!

I do not see problem here, until my package is working good with older version and it not giving any conflicts with customer sources.