Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Inaccurate Collisions?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by unity_W8RqHkclGRdmbw, Sep 19, 2018.

1. unity_W8RqHkclGRdmbw

unity_W8RqHkclGRdmbw

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, I don't know how the underlying mechanics work.

Today I have come across the following problem: I have a 2d circle that has no gravity, no friction and no bounce. I set it's rigidbody's velocity to (3,0). Beneath the circle is a set of blocks with box colliders, it is NOT inside them. This is the setup:

01_ball aligned.PNG

For good measure I have moved the circle up by 0.005 units. What I expect is that the circle moves to the right and it does so without changing it's y position (-0.745 being the inital y position). In the following picture it has already traveled almost one unit on x.

03_inb4bounce.PNG

But in the next frame, two blocks connect (seamlessly in theory). That's where the jump happens.

04_bounce.PNG

Here is the problem summed up in one picture

05_expectation vs reality.PNG

What's going on? It isn't making contact with the surface and even if it was, there is no friction. Even then, it doesn't exert a force on the ground since there is no gravity. The cubes aren't randomly pushing upwards, it only happens at the seams.

Thanks for your help

Edit: I am using Unity 2018.2.8f1

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Not sure if that will help, but check Physics Manager in Edit -> Project Settings -> Physics
    There you have contact offset. See if that affects behavior.
    upload_2018-9-20_16-36-31.png

unity_W8RqHkclGRdmbw likes this.
  3. unity_W8RqHkclGRdmbw

unity_W8RqHkclGRdmbw

That seems to have solved my problem. Thanks!