Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question In Unity HDRP Lit - 3ds Max Physical Shader - Who maintains it?

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by newguy123, Oct 25, 2022.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Guys

In Unity, the 3ds max Physical shader works great, and even in raytracing it works great few months ago when I checked. Just a question in relation to latest Unity 2023.1.a15 and future versions.

Does the 3ds Max Physical Shader get maintained and or updated together with the regular HDRP Lit shader?
    Who is responsible for it? I take it originally the code came from Autodesk, but now with various API changes between different HDRP and Unity versions, who maintains this and make sure it stays compatible?

Autodesk or Unity or a combination? Or its NOT getting updated.
    Asking because for our needs I want to check if its safe to use for current and future projects instead of the HDRP Lit shader - we do mainly property development films with offline renderings

2. bastien_humeau

bastien_humeau

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Our team at Unity implemented the Autodesk Interactive shader in Unity based on the fbxsdk specifications to be as close as possible that what maya and 3ds max offer in terms of rendering.
    We are not actively working on them at the moment, but we make sure to fix any important issues with them and we have some tasks in our backlog to look into making them one shader that would work with all Unity render pipelines so that support for projects with multiple pipelines will be better.
    So yes, we do plan to keep them around and support them for the foreseeable future.

newguy123 likes this.