Search Unity

In regards to the FPS Sample

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Armideon, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Armideon

Armideon

Was wondering a few things about the FPS Sample project. I came across it the other day and found the project pretty extensive. My first question is, has anyone actually worked with files to create a game of their own or a test level? My next question is what our limitations/restrictions would be in using this sample project. I was interested in using what they already have as a base for something I have been working on which is similar to this. Any info on this would be great or a point in the right direction if possible. Thank you ahead of time.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

3. Armideon

Armideon

4. Probably. Those people most likely on the forums you got the links above.

None (as long as you don't want to sell it as is). You can do whatever you wish with it. Although since it is widely known, you probably only can use for learning purposes and using the base features. The graphics, models and visuals are pretty well known, so it is hard to use. Not impossible though.

As you can see on the github page that it is under the Unity Companion License.
    https://unity3d.com/legal/licenses/Unity_Companion_License

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Good to hear they will keep the FPS project up to date. It would have been discouraging to hear not even the Unity team can migrate to new versions of Unity :D

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

New FPS is completely different project, with just some similarities.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah but in the thread you linked they say it will be updated

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

You mean this one?
    Is this FPS Example Complete and no longer being updated?
    Here is one quote, few post after my.
    Is not an official quote, so can be taken with grain of salt. But I think is pretty accurate.

Unless I missed something?

Peter77 likes this.
  9. iamthwee

iamthwee

I always found making your own quick and dirty FPS system easier starting of with a cube IMO.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Current FPS sample may good for someone who is well experienced in programming. Otherwise it will be hell confusing to use. So I agree, cube is good starting point :)

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hmm, strange when I read the posts yesterday there was a post talking about that it would be updated, but I cant find it anymore. Too much red wine yesterday maybe :D

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is one post, which suggest close similarities between old and new samples. But I am far from being convinced for its accuracy. Maybe that post + red / blue / yellow wine confused ;)

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its really discoursing that Unity cant keep their demos alive more than a few versions. Our game started its life on 5.2 and will probably see 2020 before its done

14. I guess you wanted to say discouraging.

Why would they do that? They always advise to not to update Unity versions under your projects unless you have serious bugs and the fix only available in newer Unity versions. It is not their goal to do that.

15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Because thats how you maintain software. In this case HDRP have not even left preview, which that project aim to showcase.

16. Armideon

Armideon

Thanks. I plan on creating my own models and using some old work I have sitting in the closet from past dead projects. Didn't want to have to write a ton of code that the fps sample already has.