Search Unity

In Regards to Collaboration, Free or Pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NahirKaSai, Sep 24, 2014.

?

Free or Pro? Vote based on your experience thus far.

1. Always Pro, I've only ever come across maybe one team who uses Free.

50.0%
  2. Usually Pro, I've only come across a few teams who use the Free version.

50.0%
  3. Split even, I've seen teams use both Pro and Free with roughly even odds.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Usually Free, I've found that teams using Pro are not common.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Always Free, I've had to search for teams using Pro specifically.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NahirKaSai

NahirKaSai

As a new, relatively inexperienced user of Unity and game development in general. I find myself yearning to collaborate with others for both the learning experience and to get accustomed to the idea of working with a team. However I'd rather not be a hindrance to any team. While I know that most collaboration threads display experience required, I would prefer to know whether or not the Pro version of Unity is generally viewed as a requirement for collaboration.

Also, I assume that in most circumstances you should simply contact the group you wish to collaborate with to determine whether or not Pro is necessary. However, in this situation I'm simply attempting to gauge the likelihood of any collaboration requests being denied due to this single factor. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

you can install instance of unity on mac, on windows i dont know, so i guess its possible to activate pro on one instance and keep the other one free?
    and there is tons of team that work under unity free, release a product under free is possible you just have to be more creative to bench your game without the profiler, or deal with the low quality shadows

3. Trigve

Trigve

4. NahirKaSai

NahirKaSai

I'm using Unity Free on windows. In regards to having Pro on one machine and Free on another, if that is what you implied, I'm fairly certain this goes against Unity's EULA. As it is stated that when creating a project you cannot mix the Free and Pro license. Also, thank you for bringing my attention to the profiler, I was actually unaware that Pro included some form of a benchmarking program.

5. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

it was not my meaning. on the same machine you can use 2 or more version of unity (3.5.7, 4.5, 5 etc) its probably possible to have one version with free and one with pro licence.
    then if your team use free or pro you have to use the same as everyone. is this a solution for your problem?

6. NahirKaSai

NahirKaSai

Intriguing, though the fact it has a price-tag makes me feel like it would be a better option to simply purchase the Pro version, seeing as that includes greater graphic potential and a profiler, not to mention all of the other little features. Thank you for pointing out this option though.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. NahirKaSai

NahirKaSai

Apologies for misunderstanding you, and in a way this sort of would be a solution. Simply buy Pro and use Free under another version or perhaps another account. Though I still would like to hear the opinion of others on the topic. Thanks for your time and thoughts on the subject.

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Actually it isn't - a license will affect all Unity installs on one machine. However, I believe it might be possible to back up your license files and switch them out for a different set (so you can switch between free and pro).

9. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

By the way... you are not allowed to mix pro and free license.
    If you have a pro license you are not allowed to have other members of your team working on the free license.
    This only counts of you are making money of it, if not you are free to do and mix the licenses.

10. NahirKaSai

NahirKaSai

Yes, I briefly mentioned this above.

fffMalzbier likes this.