Search Unity

[In Progress] True Clouds - volumetric clouds for Mobiles & PC. VR?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by marserMD, Jan 22, 2018.

1. marserMD

marserMD

Alverik likes this.
  2. marserMD

marserMD

Unfortunately, I don't own a VR device, so I'm looking for a beta tester with one to help me figure out if my clouds work well in VR and give feedback on some of the features.

If you agree to help me with testing, I will provide you with a perpetual voucher for "True Clouds".

3. radimoto

radimoto

Hi marserMD,

I’ve got an Oculus Rift. I’m interested in beta testing for VR if the offer is still available.

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. Gruguir

Gruguir

I'm interested, sent you a PM.

5. marserMD

marserMD

These two gentlemen were selected as beta-testers!

6. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

This really looks great, very promising. The missing killer feature would be support for VR, specifically single-pass stereo rendering. Then I'm all in :)

ps. I see you were looking for VR testers. Well up for it if you need any further tests. (Can do Rift. GearVR and GoogleVR)

7. marserMD

marserMD

I'm working on VR right now:)
    https://trello.com/b/DZ4wTayS/true-clouds

8. Alverik

Alverik

This looks great. I can also test in Rift if you still need some extra beta testers :)

9. marserMD

marserMD

Thanks! But currently I don't need more testers:)

10. iichiversii

iichiversii

Any progress on the VR support, I'm very keen on this feature

jeromeWork likes this.
  11. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

+1 for this :)

iichiversii likes this.
  12. iichiversii

iichiversii

It's really the last feature I need for a VR helicopter simulation, so may options available but all have extremely high fps in VR which is a real bummer

13. marserMD

marserMD

Vr is ready in development version.
    You can purchase True Clouds and e-mail me on mischapanin@gmail.com with your purchase I'd and I'll send you development version.

Currently multipass and single pass work, but there are some problems with single pass on Vive.

14. iichiversii

iichiversii

Awesome, I'll be home at some stage tomorrow to purchase, are you currenly still working group on the development to get single pass working?

15. marserMD

marserMD

Yes. In fact, I expect it to be finished in a week or so.

16. iichiversii

iichiversii

That's fantastic, I've emailed you with my invoice no, really looking good forward to testing this

17. Mikekan13

Mikekan13

Does anyone know how this compares to fog volume 3 in terms to speed? Particularly in vr.

18. marserMD

marserMD

True Clouds is faster than any other volumetric clouds solution on the market because it's the only asset that doesn't use raymarching at all. Which means that once you set up the cloud camera, adding any count of cloud meshes will be essentially free. On PC rendering in highest resolution takes less than 1 ms on a low-budget rig.

The fact that TrueClouds fake the volumetric effect means that it is not as general purpose as fogV3 or something like that, but it comes with some benefits:
    1) True Clouds allows for a much higher order of artistic control on the clouds shape (you can turn literally whatever you want into a cloud, even a skinned mesh)
    2) I am quite generous with refunds if True Clouds doesn't suit your needs. But there were only a few customers who found it unsuitable.

If you decide to buy it, please contact me for the dev version with VR support.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

How is the state or single pass render support? I'm planning of using this for smoke grenades in our VR game

Edit: does it support collision btw?

20. Mauri

Mauri

21. marserMD

marserMD

I'm still struggling with single-pass vive support.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  22. marserMD

marserMD

23. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thanks for you efforts, how about collision? If I toss a grenade into a room or thight compartment I want the smoke to stay in that room

24. marserMD

marserMD

True Clouds renders the meshes that you give as clouds. So you'll have to make a particle system that is rendered using True Clouds.

The issue is that True Clouds doesn't support rendering from inside the clouds.

25. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Ah ok, so it sound like its not a good fit then, thats sad, really needed a good performant way to create thick dense smoke :/

26. adamgffrd

adamgffrd

Just wondering if you found "a good performant way to create thick dense smoke." I am trying to create a desert sandstorm in VR and want to have it pass over the player and view it from inside.

If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks!

ethanicus likes this.
  27. adamgffrd

adamgffrd

I ended up purchasing an asset called "Volumetric Fog & Mist 2" which works really well for my purposes. I created a windy sand particle affect from VFX Graph that works well this this. https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...n-camera-effects/volumetric-fog-mist-2-162694