Search Unity

Question In HDRP:Is there a way to just minimum light level on everything? Galaxy size:1000000000000f

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by goodnewsjimdotcom, Nov 27, 2022.

1. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

Hello,
    I proc generated a galaxy with stars to scale, it has many orders of magnitude stars than the Milky Way, but the stars are 14000000000m +/-. I can't hope to put trillions of point lights around. Is there a way to just minimum light level on everything? Thank you.

Everything is white when they should have colors

upload_2022-11-26_19-48-54.png

2. halley

halley

First, don't expect Unity or any other game system to support coordinates with more than about 5 digits with any accuracy at all. Second, that looks like a job for a texture map or maybe a shader, not actually placing lights at absurd distances. Third, actual light entities are costly and you can't light objects at great distances like that.

Look up the word *verisimilitude*. You can't replicate reality accurately. You really just want the verisimilitude of reality, in a form the computer can handle.

You have two separate components which are much better handled separately: millions of stars you see at a distance that has no perspective shift as you move around, and a gentle illumination on your nearby objects so they're not as dark as space.

Deal with them separately.

A texture map or shader for the background. If it's a texture, look at sky box texture formats. If you want a shader for more dynamic needs, that depends on your rendering pipeline and method of creating shaders.

Adjust the *ambient* light level. Ambient is another fancy word for conditions that exist all around you. Adjusting this depends on what rendering pipeline you are using.

goodnewsjimdotcom and Qriva like this.
  3. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

First, thank you for tremendous respect for saying it probably can't be done. I had EXTREME hate at me two days saying it could not be done at all, but I did it the next day:

Next, thank you again for being respectful. Your words have a calming tone that demands a great level respect. People often wonder why we must learn English in school if we already know how to talk. The words you choose to communicate shows the level of care and consideration you have for your fellow brothers and sisters of humanity. You have a deep level of care, as evident by you explaining words with deep meaning. I appreciate that and I want others to also appreciate this. People often get too caught up in this world hustling and bustling and either forget what is important or overlook it. I want people to spot light your comment and know that it is an important comment of being polite and considerate and maybe the world can learn more about love from it.

Finally thank you for the Ambient light suggestion. How do I achieve that without a skybox?

,Jim

Vita- likes this.