Search Unity

In-editor 3D character animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by dev_34Disorder, May 27, 2021.

1. dev_34Disorder

dev_34Disorder

I've just realised how much easier and faster my workflow would be if i could create animation for 3D characters in the editor, as opposed to having to do it separately in blender. Shader discrepancies, waiting for re-imports, window juggling, scene copying, multi-object animation annoyances, etc., etc., etc., all of this just kills me. Of course you can transform and keyframe bones in unity but no one in their right mind would use that for actual 3D character animation. I found something called 'Skele' on the asset store but apparently it's not exactly comfortable to use and hasn't been updated in years anyway.

I don't need any fancy high-level stuff. Just IK controls, customizable bone visualization, and something along the lines of drivers (e.g. controlling shape keys with bones), you know, the basic stuff.

So, is there any obscure plugin that helps with 3D character animation in-editor? Maybe some hacky approach that can get the job done? Has unity ever mentioned any plans (or lack of plans) regarding this? Or maybe all the issues i'm having are stricly blender-related and i should switch to autodesk? (please god no)

Also, i guess i should've made it more clear that i'm talking specifically about animation. Modelling, uv mapping and rigging i'm fine with doing in blender.

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

dev_34Disorder likes this.
  3. dev_34Disorder

dev_34Disorder

Oh wow, this does look extremely promising! For some reason i locked it in my head that Skele was the only asset store item like this and stopped looking. I've always been reluctant to use pre-made assets/plugins, but not only does this look great, Animancer is also still on the top of my things-to-try-out list, after you showed it to me in another thread. I guess i just had a bad experience with pre-made assets early on in my gamedev adventure? Either way, thanks again for the help!