Search Unity

In App Purchasing with Desktop?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mholmes, Aug 10, 2018.

1. mholmes

mholmes

Before I start building a store, I wanted to research this topic but everything I have found relates to mobile. So the question is how do you do in app purchase for desktop? Links videos etc would be helpful thanks. Also, I plan on selling virtual currency in my store for in app purchasing is that allowed?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I would not recommend building a store, it's a lot of work and you securely need to handle all credit card transactions. Perhaps you mean a virtual store in your game that is connected to Apple or Google Play stores. You can use the Windows or Mac stores for Desktop. I would recommend using Unity IAP and use existing stores https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityIAP.html

3. mholmes

mholmes

Ahh ok I was not aware that windows had a store for processing. Yes I agree I'm not trying to build a "store" because I'd have to be pci compliant but I am trying to setup a virtual currency. Anyway, thanks I'll look into the windows/mac store for processing payments. Thanks

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Steam has its own framework for handling IAPs as well and their statement is that it's completely up to the merchant what they want to sell including virtual currencies (it's mentioned at the top of the following link).

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/microtransactions/implementation

It's only requirement is that Steam customers have to make all of their purchases through the Steam wallet (mentioned under the requirements sub-heading at this link).

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/microtransactions

5. GameMechanics

GameMechanics

You are recommending that while the reviews are panning it. Is it still supported?

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@GameMechanics I was simply suggesting that the user use a native platform store instead of using their own. Unity IAP is a wrapper around the platform native stores (yes, the app stores are supported)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. MrBlueBlob

MrBlueBlob

Making a store is very difficult I have experience with Javascript (node.js) and a stripe library for payment processing. And had to use an interpreter for that.

8. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

What about cross-platform apps? How would you recommend allowing access to other store IAP like if you bought something in the Apple App Store and I want the same user to have access to that purchase for their account on a windows or Android version of same app?

Also same question but for subscriptions. Thanks for your time.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Each store would require separate purchases which is enforced by the stores themselves.

10. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

But would you say giving cross-platform access to IAP purchases and Subscription would be a valid reason to create your own store?

I do wonder if I can relay purchase information from say Google Play to my own server and and then further pass it on to a Windows or iOS app. But at the same time I am already running a cross-platform app where I am using Stripe as the payment processor.

Only thing is I have to run my own login server...and honestly I use WordPress for that.

But my main question is if you are gonna give cross-platform access to IAPs, is there any way to do it other than building your own store?

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We already support cross platform stores, Google and iOS for example. Creating your own store and accepting credit cards and other forms of payment is a LOT of work. You would need to issue and track receipts, handle refunds, etc. Apple and Google have already done this for you, and they each expect to be paid. If you purchase once on Android, Apple would require you to purchase again on their platform.

12. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

My thought was I did not want my end users to have to buy things twice and that building a store would be the only way to enable that.

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood. You might have read about another company trying to build their own store on iOS which is now in a lawsuit.

14. Birra

Birra

It's not clear to me if UnityIAP can help to integrate in-app purchases on Steam, Playstation, and Xbox. In case it didn't, is there anything on the roadmap of UnityIAP?

johnfernow likes this.