Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

In App Purchases NOT Google Play

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MisterSkitz, Aug 19, 2019.

1. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Hello, I have my own website that I upload my games to. However, I'm wondering how to create my own IAP store. Everything that I google or YouTube returns results for Google Play store which I prefer not to use. I could really use some links/videos on how to achieve this as well as advice/information about the pro's and cons.

Thanks,

Mr Skitz

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I doubt you're going to find a tutorial or instructions for developing your own storefront.

You're going to need to chose payment processors, learn their API's, implement a database to track orders, probably a user account and login system, depending on the payment processor you may need to save payment information (such as credit card numbers), and you'll need to properly secure that information from outside attack. Depending on your location, there may be laws to comply with, such as local sales tax, storing and protecting data to certain standards for the industry, etc.

If it could be taught in a youtube tutorial, the major storefronts wouldn't be so big.

The simplest approach might be to just go with paypal, but I haven't used them for anything in a very long time, and don't know if they have any rules against this kind of thing.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  3. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Well this sounds like a major pain in the arse! lol
    I'm capable of designing a database but security would be the problem. Sounds like something I'm not quite ready for. I would be able to use paypal, but my question is, how would I connect it to the store item in game?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Last time I used PayPal you can send a code the user doesn't see along with the purchase, and on success you can tell PayPal to contact your server with that information. Then on your server you can update your database that this user has purchased the item from that code, and the app can talk to your server to check if the player now has that item. Something along those lines off the top of my head. (That's how PayPal worked in the mid 2000's at least)

I would suggest looking for an alternative store instead though. You'll probably spend as much work on your own storefront as you did on the game itself otherwise.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  5. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

What are some good store alternatives?
    And do these stores require uploading to their website or are they more like plugins that I can import into my game? Which I think I'd prefer this method.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I wish I knew the answer for you, but I don't. Hopefully someone else comes along who has some ideas.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  7. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

You've been very helpful! Thank you very much for your time, amigo!

Joe-Censored likes this.