Search Unity

Bug [IN-35599] MultiThreaded Rendering crash AR Foundation when enable/disable AR Session

Discussion in 'AR' started by ROBYER1, Mar 17, 2023.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Working on a simple AR app recently using Unity as a library (UAAL) to embed Unity inside a native app using AR Foundation 5.0.5 in Unity 2022.2.10 for Android and iOS. At first I thought the crashes were due to UAAL, so I did some builds of the Unity app on its own to iOS/Android devices. I noticed when I disabled/enabled the AR Session component and the AR Camera gameobject with Multithreaded Rendering enabled, the app would crash sometimes when doing this.

As soon as I disabled Multithreaded Rendering in player settings, the crashes stopped happening.

I found this issue here but nobody logged a bug for this and multiple users mentioned disabling multi-threaded rendering fixed their crash issue as it did for me. There are quite a few issues on github where people mentioned this too but not a single one of them bothered to file a Unity bug and report back! https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples/issues/95#issuecomment-1132424075

I get the following error from Xcode:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
    2. *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[ARFrame storageMode]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1514753f0'
    3. terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
    Reported to Unity with Bug: IN-35599 - [AR Foundation] MultiThreaded Rendering crash AR Foundation when enable/disable AR Session on iOS+Android

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    newguy123 likes this.
  2. newguy123

newguy123

@ROBYER1 I suspect I'm getting similar issues

I have a couple of users in my beta in Testflight, and I can see they are also getting crashes on iOS and they mention that the crash happen only when refreshing the scene, basically resetting/unloading/loading AR session etc

How can I see this error in XCode as you describe, so I may possibly confirm if my issues is same as yours?

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

You possibly can, not sure what else I can say to this other than give it a try

4. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for this report @ROBYER1. We don't read comments on closed GitHub issues so this is the first I've heard of it. I've bookmarked this to try to reproduce. In the meantime if you'd like to open a new GitHub issue that links to the old one (the old one was closed as fixed in ARF 3.1), you are welcome to.

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

andyb-unity likes this.
  6. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

Hi @ROBYER1 - it was reported to us through customer QA that you consider this resolved now - is that correct?

7. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I don't recall telling them that it was resolved - I can see QA told me they could reproduce it on iOS but not Android, which suggests there is a reproducible issue to be fixed.