Search Unity

Bug IN-14456: Exceptions after upgrading Input System to 1.4.2

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Peter77, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

EDIT: Submitted bug-report IN-14456

Unity 2019.4.20f1, Android, Input System 1.4.2

I upgraded the Input System package from 1.3.0 to 1.4.2 and now get the following exceptions every time I stop play mode. According to the stacktrace, it's all coming from the Input System itself and not from user scripts.

How can I fix it?

upload_2022-8-18_7-1-57.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException while resolving binding 'Move:<Gamepad>/leftStick[;Gamepad]' in action map 'InputActions (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionAsset):Player'
    2. UnityEngine.InputSystem.PlayerInput:OnDisable() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/PlayerInput/PlayerInput.cs:1735)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputBindingResolver.InstantiateWithParameters[TType] (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.TypeTable registrations, System.String namesAndParameters, TType[]& array, System.Int32& count, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionMap actionMap, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputBinding& binding) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputBindingResolver.cs:638)
    3. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputBindingResolver.AddActionMap (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionMap actionMap) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputBindingResolver.cs:304)
    4. UnityEngine.InputSystem.PlayerInput:OnDisable() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/PlayerInput/PlayerInput.cs:1735)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputBindingResolver.InstantiateWithParameters[TType] (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.TypeTable registrations, System.String namesAndParameters, TType[]& array, System.Int32& count, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionMap actionMap, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputBinding& binding) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputBindingResolver.cs:638)
    3. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputBindingResolver.AddActionMap (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionMap actionMap) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputBindingResolver.cs:592)
    4. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionMap.ResolveBindings () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputActionMap.cs:1352)
    5. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionMap.ResolveBindingsIfNecessary () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputActionMap.cs:1217)
    6. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionState.DeferredResolutionOfBindings () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputActionState.cs:4449)
    7. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionRebindingExtensions+DeferBindingResolutionWrapper.Dispose () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputActionRebindingExtensions.cs:2807)
    8. UnityEngine.InputSystem.PlayerInput.OnDisable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/PlayerInput/PlayerInput.cs:1735)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: source
    3. System.Linq.Enumerable.Contains[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, TSource value, System.Collections.Generic.IEqualityComparer`1[T] comparer) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    4. System.Linq.Enumerable.Contains[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, TSource value) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    5. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionState.FetchActionState (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputAction action) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputActionState.cs:887)
    6. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputAction.get_currentState () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputAction.cs:1492)
    7. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputAction.get_phase () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputAction.cs:508)
    8. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputAction.get_enabled () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputAction.cs:533)
    9. UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputAction.Disable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Actions/InputAction.cs:887)
    10. UnityEngine.InputSystem.UI.InputSystemUIInputModule.DisableInputAction (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputActionReference inputActionReference) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/UI/InputSystemUIInputModule.cs:1499)
    11. UnityEngine.InputSystem.UI.InputSystemUIInputModule.DisableAllActions () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/UI/InputSystemUIInputModule.cs:1453)
    12. UnityEngine.InputSystem.UI.InputSystemUIInputModule.OnDisable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.4.1/InputSystem/Plugins/UI/InputSystemUIInputModule.cs:1404)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    Roman-Ilyin likes this.
  2. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

I'm getting the same errors except the last one on my project. Started happening when I upgraded to 2020.3.38 from 2020.3.37, and only when I exit play mode. My input system is on 1.4.2.
    I think this might be a bug.

GamDevPro likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

HunterAhlquist likes this.
  4. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Downgrading to 1.3.0 of the input system seems to be the work around for the time being

5. Loofou

Loofou

Yes, same issue here. Downgrading resolves the issues as well. If any more data is required to solve the issue, please let me know and I will provide what I have in addition to Peter77's report.

6. NorthOfEarth

NorthOfEarth

How do you downgrade a package?

7. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

In the package manager, click the foldout arrow next to "Input System" and click on "See other versions" 1.3.0 should me in the extended list of versions.
    upload_2022-8-23_17-32-26.png

8. NorthOfEarth

NorthOfEarth

That button is absent in 2021.3.8f1. Apparently they did this to "ensure stability" or some crap. What is happening to Unity? I haven't had this many problems in ten years.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    rubendariohh likes this.
  9. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Damn, that's strange, I'm on 2020.3. Guess I won't be updating to 2021 any time soon if that's true

10. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Completely nonsensical thought process for this change (imo) ESPECIALLY with this Input System 1.4.1/1.4.2 regression fiasco. I hope they revert this decision.
    upload_2022-8-23_17-41-2.png

forestrf likes this.
  11. NorthOfEarth

NorthOfEarth

Ah ha! I edited manifest.json and changed "com.unity.inputsystem": "1.4.2" to "com.unity.inputsystem": "1.3.0".

It works flawlessly now.

Mikura_Shi and HunterAhlquist like this.
  12. ComboPlz

ComboPlz

How do you do that loool, I'm stuck on the same problem

13. NorthOfEarth

NorthOfEarth

Inside the Project Folder/Packages/manifest.json
    Just edit with Notepad.

ComboPlz likes this.
  14. perridan

perridan

my character moves alone with imput system 1.4.2 if you use the keyboard it seems that when I release the WASD or arrow keys don't execute the cancel phase

15. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Check the latest update thread for the Input System a lot of other people are saying the same thing

16. ComboPlz

ComboPlz

Thanks

17. p55d2k

p55d2k

Thanks

18. Roman-Ilyin

Roman-Ilyin

Can you tell me if there is a chance that this bug will be fixed?
    Stable reproduces in version 1.4.3.

honzakusy likes this.
  19. gg_michael

gg_michael

Having this issue as well. Exact same series of errors. Would be nice to hear if it's being addressed.

honzakusy likes this.
  20. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

InputSystem 1.4.4 does not seem to throw these errors anymore.

HunterAhlquist likes this.
  21. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Yup, all good for me too! I previously had issues with wasd movement input failing to register sometimes, no errors. Works every time now.