Search Unity

Resolved Improvements that I would like to see made to the terrain system

Discussion in 'Authoring Dev Blitz Day 2023' started by jalbastefan828, Jan 25, 2023.

1. jalbastefan828

jalbastefan828

Are there any plans to improve the terrain system in Unity this year? I noticed something interesting in the DOTS roadmap: Worldbuilding tools made with DOTS :DD , will this happen this year?

A few simple improvements I'd like to see:

1) I want the paint tool for trees to have filters similar to those from details (Brush Mask Filters)
    2) I would like the vegetation (details) to be able to have LODs (similar to trees). That would help a lot on the performance side.
    3) I would like to be able to create custom shader graph materials for the terrain
    4) The terrain can have several layers (more than 8)
    5) Other things I would like the terrain to have: terrain/object blending, anti tiling, tessellation, triplanar texture
    6) To be able to create roads on the terrain using the new spline system

graskovi, CaseyHofland and PutridEx like this.
  2. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

7) Non-destructive workflows like in MicroVerse. Better yet, hire Jason Booth because this man is a genius.

By non-destructive workflow I mean that if you lay out a spline to create a road, it digs into the terrain so you get a nice flat surface for your road. A few parameters allow you to dig larger groves, or smaller ones if you just want this to be a footpath that's frequented rather than a full-one road construction. If you remove the spline, the terrain restores itself. You can also use this on houses so they can dig out a terrain for themselves.

Jason Booth has already covered 3 4 and 5 with MicroSplat and 6 and 7 with MicroVerse, on his own, he's a great artist when it comes to terrain packages.

jalbastefan828 likes this.
  3. DevDunk

DevDunk

8) being able to place multiple trees at once (70% tree 1, 15% tree2, 15% tree 3) with the same brush

jalbastefan828 and CaseyHofland like this.
  4. TimAidley

TimAidley

Unity Technologies

These are all excellent ideas, but unfortunately I can't share any details of work that we haven't announced yet.