Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Improved VR Terrain Trees in 2017.3 betas

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Claytonious, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

The release notes for 2017.3 say:
    However, having tried it on device with 2017.3b2 with Google Daydream, I still see the tree billboards rotating as the user rotates his head, which looks quite terrible. Was that supposed to have been fixed? Is there an additional setting that needs to be changed somewhere else before this fix becomes active?

Thanks!

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I did not test but I saw a setting under Quality settings. Rotate billboards against position.

3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Yes, I've wondered about that guy, but have avoided him due to this statement made by a Unity engineer previously on the topic. However, it may be worth trying again.

4. mikesf

mikesf

Unity Technologies

Hi @Claytonious, android VR trees fix is coming soon. 2017.3 already has PC and Mac VR trees fixed. The android/mobile fix is being backported to 2017.3. I'll post the version to download when it lands.

Claytonious likes this.
  5. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thanks @mikesf. That's actually good news, because I thought it was simply failing to work. Thanks for keeping us posted. I will be eager to try it as soon as it's available for Android.

6. Yaroslav-Kravtsov

Yaroslav-Kravtsov

I don't get something. I set Unity 2017.3.0b7, made terrain with trees from standard Environment package. When I look at this scene in HTC Vive helmet I still can see how billboards in trees and grass rotate along with head rotation. The same behavior that I saw in previous versions. It looks very unnatural. How can I disable billboard rotation?

And what is Persistent View Data Dictionary in grass and mass tree placement settings? Does it part of this topic? How I should use it?

7. Yaroslav-Kravtsov

Yaroslav-Kravtsov

After few tests, I found that issue happens only with \Standard Assets\Environment\SpeedTree\Broadleaf\Broadleaf_Desktop.spm Other trees in standard package work fine.

8. mikesf

mikesf

Unity Technologies

@Claytonious The Android VR tree fix is in 2017.3b7. Look for release notes there.
    @Yaroslav-Kravtsov The VR trees rotation fix is for Tree Creator trees. Speedtrees isn't affected.

Claytonious likes this.
  9. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thanks for the heads up!