Search Unity

Improved UI

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by xtdiwd, Mar 29, 2021.

1. xtdiwd

xtdiwd

The available UI is poor to say the least!
    In Visual Studio there are at least a hundred controls and many of them would be useful in Unity as well.

• MsgBox
    • DialogBox
    • The Options in form of button (but also the normal options with round icon already inside the ToggleGroup)
    • DateTimePicker
    • NumericUpDown
    • ProgressBar
    • TreeView
    • WebBrowser
    • GroupBox
    • TrackBar (in Unity there is only the slider)
    • TabControl

Just to name a few. Some of them can be easily recreated but it's still time I would like to save.
    I've also looked through the assets but none of them work really well. Also it would definitely be better if they were integrated into Unity.

Another component that would be useful is a Slider/TrackBar associated with an InputField control in both read and write mode, that is able to synchronize the value between the slider and the input field. I tried to create one but, having put it inside a ScrollView, it conflicts!

Also when I use ScrollView I can't move the displayed area and when I add components outside the visible area I see only the frames.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    BenniKo likes this.
  2. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

3. xtdiwd

xtdiwd

Sorry, I actually think I have the wrong section. Can you move the thread?

I'm talking about objects in Canvas.

4. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Go and create an Asset...
    Or ask a question regarding one topic... not sure what kind of response you are waiting for.

I think, it is good how UGUI only focuses on the very basic elements (except scroll view which is already pretty complex). Simple things like radio buttons or tabs can easily created with this system (and maybe just a very little bit of code). Since there are always multiple ways to achieve a goal, the complex stuff should not be part of the framework IMO. For example a date-picker: there are tons of possible ways to create such a control... And there are different calendars used in different parts of the world... This is definately something where the UX designer should decide how it is presented.