Search Unity

Improved prefabs and 2018.2 release.

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Marc-Saubion, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

With unity 2018.2 recent release I was wondering if improved prefab will follow up. I was actually surprised nothing was mentioned about it on the 2018.2 announcement page despite it being a long awaited feature with positive feedback. I tried it on the 2018.2 beta and barely had any issues with it but was let down by seemingly unrelated bugs on the editor (random crashes, collaborate extremely slow).

Any plans to release improved prefab on a reasonably stable version of the editor?

Thanks

Deeeds likes this.
  2. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Hi, prefabs was never intended to ship with 2018.2. The 2018.2 beta never had improved prefabs in it. The separate preview version of prefabs is based off of the 2018.2.0b9, but that was only because 2018.3 was too early to expose to the public yet.

We hope to have improved prefabs in a final release version as soon as possible.

3. bibbis

bibbis

Hello,
    I am currently using 2018.2.0b9 with improved prefabs.
    I have read a lot about how the improved prefabs preview version is "based off of" this beta version.
    Does that mean that 2018.2.0b9 is this the only version that supports the prefabs preview?

I'd love to move to the official 2018.2 release but that means I have to leave the improved prefabs behind for now, right?

4. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

@bibbis

That is correct, we will not be updating the preview build to the 2018.2f1 release.

5. bibbis

bibbis

Ok, thank you.

6. Gen_Scorpius

Gen_Scorpius

Since I did experience some glitches with prefabs from the old system that caused the preview build editor to crash (easily fixable by re-saving the offending prefabs), I certainly will skip 2018.2 including its old prefab system and go straight to the first 2018.3 beta (with built-in improved prefab system) once it becomes available.

I hope it doesn't take too long till that. Apart from the too colorful and thus distracting game object icons, I'm pretty happy with the new prefabs.

7. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

Si how do you manage to reduce the crashes? Saving prefabs changed twice? This info will be ver helpful, as I am getting crashes after modifying prefabs.
    Thank you

8. Gen_Scorpius

Gen_Scorpius

The editor crashes I encountered relate to dragging an object (that is part of a prefab and is instantiated in a scene) from the scene hierarchy over the open scene view to the inspector window (e.g. when working with UI buttons).

I found 2 workarounds: A) Doing any trivial change in the prefab triggering an auto-save or saving manually (can be reverted in another change subsequently). B) Opening another window like the game view to prevent the dragging over the open scene view which triggered the crash for me.

Pnvanol likes this.