Search Unity

Feedback Improve switching between manual and scripting API for a specific topic

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Xarbrough, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

At the top right of the Unity docs page we have the "Manual" and "Scripting API" buttons. Both point to the respective starting pages, which for me personally is not so helpful. In almost all cases, I search for specific topics via a search engine or via the docs search field and then start reading specific pages. From this point it would be more helpful if I could switch between the current topics manual page and scripting API with a single click. For example: I'm on the manual page for the Video Player, now I would like to switch to the scripting API, so a button (either the one at top or a new one) should take me to the Video Player scripting page with one click.

My arguments in short:
    • Users are more likely to search for specific pages and navigate between them than to start the starting page of the docs and drill down into topics. However, the button links at the top of every page are very prominent.
    • Reading both manual and scripting pages is often required of users want to fully understand a component.
    • Finding and navigating between manual and scripting pages for a single topic takes relatively long, because the search is slow and link navigation requires many clicks.
    • A single click switch between manual and scripting page for a specific topic (if available) would speed up the overall navigation process.
    Not all topics have pages for both manual and scripting, of course, in these cases the links could be grayed out with a tooltip.

Thank you for considering this idea! :)

yasirkula and Trisibo like this.
  2. Trisibo

Trisibo

I believe this was in previous versions of the documentation, I wonder why it was thrown out.

3. jo-unity

jo-unity

Unity Technologies

Xarbrough likes this.