Search Unity

Improve Sprite Quality

Discussion in '2D' started by path14, Jun 14, 2018.

1. path14

path14

Hey all. I've struggled with this before this current lil' project and never really solved it. I've scoured the web and changed all the settings in hopes to improve sprite quality in my UI, but at a loss.

I'm currently publishing into WebGL at 1024x768 on a macbook pro (retina).

I have no import compression, filter mode point, no mip maps, 32 PPU, canvas scaler to screensize (1024x768 reference), orthographic size 12, and my png's are exported from Adobe Illustrator with 300ppi. The only thing that seems to make a difference is hiking the resolution up really high in the canvas settings in WebGL, making the sprites much larger with improved quality, but I want to keep it in a single web page so that's not going to work.

What am I missing / doing wrong? I've attached two images where the edges of the sprites are just not sharp enough. It's driving me insane....

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.58.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.39.44 AM.png

2. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

everything jumping in my mind is already setup correctly by you (no import compression, filter mode point, no mip maps).

Only one idea left: Maybe it helps if you check "Pixel Perfect" in your Canvas.

3. path14

path14

That's not it either....I think it's a resolution issue, but it may just be in Unity Mac...

4. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

maybe you can plug in a non-retina display to your mac and see if it makes a difference...

Edit: maybe it is also something related to the used graphics framework... you can try to start unity in Open GL mode or Metal mode with the command line arguments
    -force-glcore
    /
    -force-gfx-metal
    (see here)

5. Narendraom

Narendraom

I have same issue with Sprites on iPhone. How can i resolve it?

6. fabiopicchi

fabiopicchi

I have been working with a Pixel Perfect 2D game for a while now and have stumbled across many issues with image quality.

Your settings are very similar to mine. I don't know if that's the answer to your problem but you could try fiddling with Quality Settings under Edit > Project Settings > Quality Settings. I had to turn off Anti Alias and Anisotropic Textures and set Texture Quality to Full Res otherwise the pixel colours were messed up.

Narendraom likes this.
  7. path14

path14

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the input! :)

8. barskey

barskey

Is your Max Size setting larger than the imported Sprite Resolution? Try setting it to larger than whichever side of your sprite is longer. In other words, if your sprite is 800x600, set it to 1024.