Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Improve "Opening Project in Non-Matching Editor Installation" dialog

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Every now and then, it occurs that someone didn't backup the project when opening it in a beta version, just like here.

While creating a backup of the project is mentioned in various alpha/beta related documents, some people don't seem to remember it.

In order to reduce such issues, I propose you improve the "Opening Project in Non-Matching Editor Installation" dialog in Beta and Alpha releases.

warning.png

In Beta and Alpha releases, the text should also contain, in red letters:
    • To backup the project.
    • The consequences that might result in not backing up the project.

What also comes to mind:
    • Change the Unity icon to a warning icon. It indicates there is something more important going on.
    • Change the default button focus from "Continue" to "Quit", for people who automatically confirm dialog boxes with "Enter" everything one pops up.

LeonhardP likes this.
  2. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

I would probably suggest adding a third option that automatically copies your game when your have enough HDD space to do so. ("Continue with Backup", "Continue without Backup", "Quit").

3. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Hi Peter77,
    The workflow we are trying to promote is centered around the Unity Hub. It will be obvious that you are forcing a newer version to open your project.
    However, I will forward your suggestion to the launcher team so that the feedback is stronger.

Peter77 likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I tried the Unity Hub today. Its upgrade dialog is missing important information.

1. The earlier "Please be aware that opening in an older version is unsupported." message has been removed. Users are not made aware anymore, that there is no going back, once the project is upgraded.

2. Unfortunately, none of my other feedback went into the Hub yet. See first post of this thread.

3. Not sure if the "don't show this dialog again" option is a good idea.

unity_project_upgrade.png

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Prodigga likes this.
  5. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @Peter77 ,
    Thanks for the feedback, we have taken notes.
    While I cannot make any promises, I may assure you that all your feedback been taken under consideration and review.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Peter77 likes this.
  6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I noticed the text has been improved in 2019.3, it now includes "you will not be able to open the project with older versions of Unity". This is great, thumbs up!

upload_2019-7-18_14-24-53.png

I think it would still be a good idea to:
    • Make "Quit" the default button.
    • Display a warning icon rather than the Unity logo. It shows people it's an important step and they should read the text before just pressing enter.

LeonhardP and charlesb_rm like this.