Search Unity

Impression on the win build file structure

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Cromfeli, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

Not exactly the most world shattering issue, just something that I encountered when user was anxiously asking "What of these files I need to open?" I realized that something has changed for the windows builds:

Application_Data
    Application.exe

vs

MonoBleedingEdge
    Application_Data
    Application.exe
    UnityCrashhandler
    UnityPlayer.dll

User may be wondering why is this software Bleeding is it good or bad to have sharp Edges at hand? is it crashing and what are those Crashes that come in harmonious unity to be handled? What does the player do here, is this ice hockey match even if the software happens to be non-game?

Playing a bit of devils advocate here as if it would be easy to do some housekeeping and throw the garbage under Application_Data? :p

mgear and JasonBricco like this.
  2. Vedrit

Vedrit

I know this thread is a bit old, but I want to chime in that UnityPlayer.dll should, for the sake of consistency, be moved to Application_Data/Managed, where all other DLLs can be found. I don't know where the CrashHandler should go, but it also needs to be put somewhere.
    My complaints is because if you have a patching utility that was also built in Unity, running in the same folder as another Unity-based application, you're going to encounter problems because those files are open and in-use, so they cannot be edited.

Cromfeli likes this.
  3. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

That is also good practical example why some housekeeping would be good.

Is there any specific reason why they decided to mess with the structure at Unity? Maybe I am overlooking something.