Search Unity

Importing your game to different consoles

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MW_Industries, Dec 29, 2019.

1. MW_Industries

MW_Industries

Hello, my name is Codemaster Jamal and I'm currently working on a monster-taming open world game. Right now, I am building my game specifically for PC but, I was wondering about importing my game to a console like Playstation (4-5), Nintendo Switch, and XboxOne.

Basically, am I am programming my game I am currently using the input method

Code (CSharp):
    1. Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space);
    I am basically relying on KeyCode's instead of programming the built default keys such as

Code (CSharp):
    1. Input.GetButtonDown("Fire1");
    Or something down those lines.

What my question is, will changing the input method, make it easier to import my game to different consoles? Or would there still be a lot of work down the line regardless? As in, would it be easier to import my game to different consoles if I chose the second method?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Your inputs matter are least of your concerns regarding porting. It comes to what you hook them up to.

In the end, is just setting a state and doing some logic afterwards. Trivial to change.

Using "fire" for example, makes more sense, as you don't need to worry about key, or button, to which fire is assigned to.

3. MW_Industries

MW_Industries

Heard that, then I'm going to change some things around and start using the built-in Unity buttons. Thanks for the advice. I have a hard time setting certain buttons up but, for the most part, I should be fine.