Search Unity

Importing whole scene from external assets

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Primoz56, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Primoz56

Primoz56

Hi all,

I've got the option of importing an entire scene's worth of assets from a single FBX file, which would have the terrain, scattered (duplicated) houses/trees, textures and whatever else included. Considering it does have a hierachy included, i can still modify it, like move trees or resize them etc.

Now my question is - should i be loading the entire scene from a single model/file, or should i have plenty of smaller models and compile them together in Unity?

This is primarily for updating purposes, so when the artist makes changes that they are easily update-able with any other changes added to the scene like lighting/effects and so on.

Key concerns I have:
    1. Game size, seems that loading a 500mb file for one scene is a bit much or is that ok? What about memory impact?
    2. Duplicate objects - if i have 20 of the same house, thats 20 'different' houses imported. Unity will cache/load them faster right?
    3. Terrain scripts like object collision, baking, pathfinding etc - are those still fine or now subpar?

Thanks for all your input,
    Primoz

2. Primoz56

Primoz56