Search Unity

Importing SteamVR crashes before project gets created

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Aranir, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Aranir

Aranir

When creating a new project and adding the asset package for SteamVR, the editor crashes before it finishes creating the project.

Subsequent tries to open the project result in the same behavior.

I know that SteamVR is an asset package and is not developed by Unity, but given its importance and the fact that it immediately crashes the editor on starting up the project, I thought it's worthwhile to report.

If anyone has found a workaround to still develop VR games using the SteamVR plugin, I would appreciate a hint.

2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Have you tried with the official release of 2018.2? Just want to know if it is specific to the preview build or an upgrade issue in general.

3. Aranir

Aranir

I tried with version 2018.2.0f2 (installed over UnityHub) and I have no issue at all with that version. Same for another developer which tested the prefab workflow.

So I assume it either has something to do with the unity version the prefab workflow is based on or its due to the changes made through the reworked prefab mechanics.

4. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

@Aranir

Ok, thank you for testing, I will have a look in our latest build if it is working fine.

5. JonathanWinbush

JonathanWinbush

I'm also getting the same crash when I try to install Steam VR.
    It worked for me under version 2018.2.0f2 but not under the current prefab version

6. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

@Aranir @JonathanWinbush

I am unable to reproduce with our latest internal build, so this should be fixed once we ship.

7. las_nsc

las_nsc

@Aranir @JonathanWinbush There's something about some of the prefabs that the improved prefabs build doesn't like. If you look in the crash log you can identify which prefabs don't work and re-create them in this build based on how they were structured on another stable build (without improved prefabs).

@SteenLund Can we have that build please?

Aranir likes this.
  8. JonathanWinbush

JonathanWinbush

@lac_nsc I have not problem running my project with the improved prefabs it's only when I've tried to import SteamVR did I get the crashes. Other than that the improved Prefabs have been working fine for me I love the new workflow it's exactly how I work in After Effects with precomps.

9. las_nsc

las_nsc

@JonathanWinbush
    It's a prefab in SteamVR that causes the issue. Check your error log after the crash and it will tell you which one.

10. PanayotCankov

PanayotCankov

The import for [Status] failed. I don't need that prefab but after I exclude it then [CameraRig] fails. Is there is a build with Prefabs Workflow that can support SteamVR?

I have Flash experience and Adobe Flash had concept similar to the new prefabs workflow, you could edit asset elements (movie clips) in place or in isolation. I absolutely love it. I am building a virtual keyboard, each key is a prefab, if I group all keys into a keyboard prefab I can no longer edit all of the keys at once with the old workflow.

11. las_nsc

las_nsc

Import SteamVR with an older version of unity, and keep opening the Improved Prefabs build until it loads without crashing. It might take a few tries, but eventually it will load and some SteamVR prefabs will not be loaded; delete those prefabs. Then recreate the deleted prefabs in the improved prefabs build using SteamVR in old unity as a reference. Most of the prefabs are just using other prefabs/scripts from SteamVR, it should take 5 mins to do. You can now use SteamVR in the Improved prefabs build.

12. PanayotCankov

PanayotCankov

13. tculhane

tculhane

No matter which Unity version I use (2018.2 or 2018.3) it crashes as soon as I try to load the SteamVR camera rig prefab. Anybody else getting this? It was working early tonight when I just had 2018.3 but the teleporting wouldn't work. So I used UnityHub to download 2018.2 which works for me on another machine. Then it started crashing. I removed everything and reinstalled but still crashing.