Search Unity

Importing Problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by guategeek_legacy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Um ok so I'm a noob to all this stuff. I made a simple modle in C4D but when I put it in Unity a bunch of the polygones are missing. What stupid mistake am I making?

Attached Files:

2. FancyPants

FancyPants

I've never used C4D before (or imported into Unity), but did you make sure that all your polygon normals were pointing in the same direction? I know that some programs just make everything double-sided by default, so the normals don't matter as much...

3. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I've never realy used C4D before eather ;) So I have no clue if all my polygon normals are pointing ths same direction, and no clue how to check and fix it. But thanx a lot, at leat now I have something that I can learn to check and fix. Jeff

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I think fancy pants is right. This seems like back facing issue.
    Some of the normals in cinema 4D seem to be inverted.
    There probably is a way to visualize normals in Cinema 4D.
    Maybe there is a revert normals function in Cinema 4D?

5. FancyPants

FancyPants

You should be able to find out if that's what it is if in Unity you rotate your view around to the back of the model, and see if those missing polygons show up, and nothing else does. If they do, then it's a normals problem. Google should be able to help! :)

6. vineeee

vineeee

'Align normals' and 'reverse normals' in the function menu will sort out the normals. Also turn on backface culling in the display menu of the viewport to get an idea of what you will get in unity. When you select polygons the yellow stick in the middle shows you which way the normal is pointing. Hope this helps.

7. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Yah I got it to work!!!! I had tryed selecting the whole thing and reversing normals and aligning normals. But of corse that didn't work (my problem would just be inversed). But once I selected "backface culling" I was able to see the problems and fix them on a polygon by polygon basis and now it imported fin. Thanks a ton to all of you. I never would have figured this out on my own. Jeff