Search Unity

Importing/Playing UV Animation from Maya in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by aravindh007, Jun 23, 2010.

1. aravindh007

aravindh007

I was trying to import UV animated object from Maya and it failed to play the UV animation, do i need to add any script to the object to play them? or any suggestions.

Thanks

2. PolyMad

PolyMad

There are scripts to animate UV, you must add them to your objects, or at least this is the simplest way.

3. aravindh007

aravindh007

Thanks

I found another method, using animation editor and keyed the texture offset of x or y axis, it worked.

4. mmonks

mmonks

Do you have any info on the settings you used to import UV animation? I've tried animating offset parameter, but I can't get the UV animation to come across. We're you exporting fbx files?

thx

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

He didn't import them from another program... he created the UV animations in Unity using the Animation Editor.

6. mmonks

mmonks

Thanks Ethan. The reason I ask is that I'm setting up a facial animation system in Maya that controls UV offset. From what I've been reading, I won't be able to import any UV animation to Unity. Is this correct?

thanks

7. aravindh007

aravindh007

Unity animation editor can be help of animating simple tile textures with key on its offsets.

I think for facial animation, u need to use the some example scripts, which offset the UV in texture at defined scale/ position.

As i tried on several methods, sadly i'm not able to import any UV animation from Maya->unity with any file format.

Attached Files:

8. mmonks

mmonks

Thanks for your reply. I'll post again if I come up with anything useful.

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You do not need to entirely script this stuff. The Animation Editor is easily capable of these types of animations within Unity. Check out this video series for an example of how to get started with this... Joe Robins specifically goes through UV animations in this series.

Intro - http://vimeo.com/11399020

Animation Events - http://vimeo.com/11399349

Editing Imported Animations - http://vimeo.com/11399550

10. polyphobia3d

polyphobia3d

hey everyone, sorry for digging up this thread, but is there any way to import UV changes, other than just switching full meshes?
    I am also working on a system to switch facial expressions, but to safe texture memory i'd like to make a highly compressed texture atlas for the facial features and animate the uvs in a 3d app, as it will not be "move the uvs of the whole face by XY pixels"

right now to me this is highly theoretical so maybe the mesh@anim just works via fbx - i'll just check it out