Search Unity

Importing or loading external assets in runtime.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by dawnmichal, Apr 4, 2015.

1. dawnmichal

dawnmichal

Hello. I'm new in Unity community and absolute Unity beginner. I'm thinking about converting my project from jMonkeyEngine to Unity. But I need one important feature. I want users (moders) to be able to create custom vehicles for my game. Is this possible using Unity? Is there the posibility to import e.g. blender models into game using runtime, without rebuilding project in Unity? I implemented this feature in jME. First step was create model in Blender, then convert to .j3o file using jME IDE. This file can be loaded in runtime along with my custom text configuration file with vehicle parameters.... Is something similar possible in Unity?

2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

There is no built-in feature that Unity supplies, but of course you can read any file from json, over xml to binary, if you have an importer. If you're familiar with it, you can write your own or browse through the Asset Store to find an external script or complete plugin package. I haven't built anything like it myself, but I know that people have done it with plugins from the asset store, so just encouraging you to keep looking at Unity. ;)

3. dawnmichal

dawnmichal

Thank you for your reply. I found similar suggestions on the internet. I like unity so far. Also C# is more comfortable for me than java. It is important for me to know, that there will be some solution for my needs.

4. dawnmichal

dawnmichal

Or this could be achieved using Asset Bundles?

5. cchacon

cchacon

did you find a solution for this?

6. dawnmichal

dawnmichal

Sadly no :(

7. Roldo

Roldo

Was having the same problem. Did you find a solution for it? My guess is that you can probably write an external model converter thatll convert your models to json files or binary(with data on vertices, faces, materials, etc.) And then generate a model in unity at runtime using that data