Search Unity

Importing Oculus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhahn63, Dec 29, 2019.

1. jhahn63

jhahn63

Do I have to go to the unity store and import the Oculus package everytime I want to create a project?
    Isn't that just adding more bloat to my computer?
    I want the oculus package to be default to any project I start.
    Is this possible?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are two ways to include an asset in every project. One, create a symlink in the new project that points at a common location for the asset. You can create them manually through a terminal or you can create them through an asset like the following. This is the easiest way to do it.

https://github.com/karl-/unity-symlink-utility

Two, add the asset to the project template for the editor. Every new project you create is made by extracting the contents of a tarball from this directory into the project folder you choose when creating it. By adding new files to these templates you can add new assets to them that will always be included.

Only downside is you'll need to do this for each new release of Unity and it's a tedious process in my opinion.

upload_2019-12-29_18-50-41.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  3. jhahn63

jhahn63

Just making sure, so every time I create a new project I have to add another 2344 files to my computer. Is that right?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only if you can't be bothered to use the symlink method I mentioned earlier. To be honest though it's a trivial increase that any modern computer can effortlessly handle. NTFS from the Windows XP through 7 era can handle up to four billion files in a drive.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

5. jhahn63

jhahn63

I guess I'm just used using programming environments that have include files, packages or the like that are integrated within,that can be called easily with no overhead for each project.
    I'll get used to it.
    Thanks