Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

importing music and tying it to the particle system

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ikari1976, May 6, 2007.

1. ikari1976

ikari1976

caveat - i'm a programing n00b so i figure the best way for me to learn (java) is to tackle an idea i've wanted to do for a while which is triggering particle systems via imported music.

can anyone point me in the right direction (tutorials, online resources). i'm still playing around with Unity Indie (30 day trial) with the hope of purchasing it in the next 3 weeks.

thanks a bunch!

2. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Hi welcome to the show Ikari. Despite the number of image synthesis programs, creating visuals to sound is actually a fairly complex task. Unity doesn't support this inherently, but there are a few paths you might consider :

- Manual sync; create effects (via the timeline perhaps) that matches the music you want to use. This is the least flexible option as doesn't respond to the music, just behaves at the same time. You can get going quickly, but complex response becomes quickly cumbersome.

- Plugin; Create a plugin that analyzes a given sound file and outputs float values based on frequency analysis. This is the realtime approach and is the most general; would work with any sound asset. Of course, you'll need to program it :)

- Mic as input; There is a plugin on the wiki from Jonathan Czeck that analyzes the input from your microphone for use in Unity. Might be useful as a basis for your own plugin or perhaps you can use it when playing sound externally... not the best solution but might get you up and running.

Whatever you come up with, would love to see it! Good luck!