Search Unity

Importing Modo animations into Unity?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by RibsNGibs, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RibsNGibs

RibsNGibs

Hi, I'm new to both the rigging/animation part of Modo and new to Unity, so it's hard for me to troubleshoot it, and I'm having a hard time getting animations from Modo into Unity.

I've got Modo Indie 10 and Unity 5.5.

1) I made an simple object in Modo, added a transform effector and bend effector with some point weights, added the mesh and the two effectors to an Actor, made an Action, and made a quick mini animation, and saved it out, both as an .lxo and as a .fbx. I can wiggle the current frame around and see the animation, and switch out of Actions and see that the animation disappears, so I think I know my Action is set up correctly.

2) I went into Unity and I see both the .lxo and .fbx. According to https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectModo.html it should just support .lxo natively, but if I crack open the .lxo asset I don't see any animation takes. If I crack open the .fbx version I do see an animation take (Take 001... not what I named but, but it's there). But if I select the animation take and then hit play in the preview window, it does loop through the 24 frames which is the correct range, but nothing moves.

I don't have enough experience here to know what might be failing here - can anybody point me in the right direction? Are actions supposed to be supported at all? Was I supposed to use a different method of importing? Am I supposed to add animator/animation components to the object? etc. etc.

Thanks.

2. P1rw

P1rw

I have the same problem! All tutorials I find go into detail how to animate an IK character but what about simple transform and effectors from modo? Unless I'm dreaming I think its possible to get an animation from modo into Unity that is just a simple transform e.g. move a cube to the side, rotate an item etc. without using bones.

Correct?