Search Unity

Importing from max to unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Mikkel Christensen, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Mikkel Christensen

Mikkel Christensen

Hi

Im currently doing a small open source pacman -
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=48259

I ran into some trouble while importting to Unity from 3dsmax. The testure Uwv map is distorted in unity, while it look ok in 3dsmax. Can anyone care to explain me why it it happens - i suggest is is something with the export settings, but i havent figuret what im doing wrong.

2. Tysoe

Tysoe

Your picture links don't seem to work. I haven't come across any UV map problems with unity since I stated using it though.

I guess it's possible that if you used cropping or something, that might not translate well when exporting. Without being able to see what you did it's a bit hard to suggest anything.

3. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

I can`t see any of the images either (404). Could you try posting them somewhere else so we can have a look? :)

4. perversonality

perversonality

If you are using the FBX exporter from Max, make sure that the object is an editable mesh and not an editable poly before exporting

5. Mikkel Christensen

Mikkel Christensen

Hmm didnt work for me perversonality, i guess my mesh at some point got Fubar in the process. I admit that it is not unwraped, but sort of stiched up along the way. The ting is, why does it present well in max, and not while exporting?
    Further more its not all the textures that Fubar up. Take a look at the gradient texture on the sides of the walls.

Max viewport

Unity view

6. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

That is strange, right. Not easy to see a lot in those images though, but have you tried exporting from 3dsmax and then importing the same mesh back into max again? Just to see if it`s the exporter that messes up or not.

If that doesn`t help, feel free to send me a pm, so maybe I can have a look at the file.

Roald

7. perversonality

perversonality

This is probably the root cause. When you say stitched up, what exactly do you mean?

8. Mikkel Christensen

Mikkel Christensen

Finaley its working. It was the good old pain in the butt 'Map ID' within 3dsmax i forgot to assign to each material.