Search Unity

"Importing Complete Project" Message

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SteveJ, Jan 16, 2015.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

Never seen this before - is it something new? What exactly is it warning me that's it's going to overwrite?

I'm attempting to import Cartoon FX Pack 1 into an existing project.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not new; complete projects include project settings that normally aren't part of unitypackages, such as input manager settings and so on. Complete projects should ideally be imported into an empty project, like the message says, unless you're really sure you don't care about your existing project settings.

--Eric

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

NEVER seen that message before - even when importing these same assets. Very strange.

4. Archania

Archania

That is happening with assets that aren't a complete project. And people are reporting it in several different areas both in the beta for 5 and for 4.6.
    and this is a new issue that appeared the other day or 2 with a lot of different assets.
    something is messed up.

5. yoyo

yoyo

I just got this message with Unity's Standard Assets package. :eek:

MercuryVrStudios likes this.
  6. Hawker65

Hawker65

I'm a newbie, what do project settings correspond to exactly?

7. neighborlee

neighborlee

SOrry to add to 1 yr old post, but its a big deal.
    Is this still going on and why- there was no one conclusion to this thread, and I don't want to 'overwrite' some setting, that this thread has yet to answer to which ones will be overwritten, and is there any way of knowing short of messaging author ?

No other threads on this, I looked- plus why create a new thread when this is the one that obviously applies :)_ In this meantime I'll look elsewhere (youtube whatever) for something else.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. TonyLi

TonyLi

I wouldn't necessarily trust the author, either. We're all human; it's possible that the author may have forgotten every setting that was changed.

Create a new, empty project. (Project 1)

Then create a second new, empty project, and import the asset. (Project 2)

In both projects, select Edit > Project Settings. Compare all the sections: Input, Tags and Layers, etc.

9. neighborlee

neighborlee

Easier even would be a load/save setting built in. Done ;) In the meantime I'll settle for creating a backup (if I ever forget to compare or don't want to hassle of doing so) .

TY :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  10. Kzapas

Kzapas

Ummm. How do I revert my project to what it used to be when I import a complete project. It ruined my project. HELP!!!

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Revert to an earlier version in your version control repository.

If you're not using version control yet, it won't help you now, but set it up for the next time something like this happens. See Unity's version control tutorial.

If you don't have version control, then restore your project from a backup. If you don't have a backup, set up backups.

If you have neither version control nor backups, you may still be able to get your project running again. If you think the project settings (layers, tags, input settings) are messed up, select the menu item Edit > Project Settings. Click on each category on the left (Audio, Input, Tags and Layers, Time, etc.). In each category, open the gear menu in the upper right and select Reset. This will reset your project settings to their factory defaults. Then set up version control. ;-)

neighborlee likes this.
  12. Brother_77

Brother_77

Is there a way to import a package not as a complete project or is there a workaround that would allow me to import the package without overwriting the current settings ?

Thank you!

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

In the Import Package window, untick the Project Settings files listed at the bottom. You'll probably want to import those into a separate project so you can compare them and apply any necessary settings (e.g., tags, layers, input definitions) to your original project.

Brother_77 likes this.