Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Importing Blender file takes forever

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by fred_gds, Nov 22, 2013.

1. fred_gds

fred_gds

Hey,

I have a 91 mb big Blender file, which contains a 370 k poly model of mine. So I am having the problem that when I import it, it takes for ever (over 30 minutes). And then when I change the settings, such as "Create colliders" or create "uv maps" then it will each time take another hour until its done computing.
    So I run unity 4.3 on a Macbook Pro Retina with a 3,1 ghz i5 and 8gb Ram @ 1600 Mhz and an SSD so I don't really see why it takes so long. I mean yeah it only uses one Core at 100% all the time but still it's not that big of a model.

Would be great if somebody would have any suggestions on how to make this process faster, as I have to keep reimporting the model as I am not done with it.

2. Dantus

Dantus

You may export the blend file as fbx. When you import an fbx file into Unity, it is faster and it is more comfortable to work like that. Blender's fbx exporter is not really fast.

3. fred_gds

fred_gds

I'll try that out next time, but on smaller files it doesn't behave like that so it's kind of strange

4. Cygon4

Cygon4

I have noticed this too, very small .blend files import in seconds (which is already much longer than I would expect), but ones with many animations/meshes/materials take in the order of of minutes.

It seems Unity launches Blender.exe dozens of times during the import, no idea why - maybe each mesh and each animation is exported individually?

What I've done so far is to keep my .blend files tidy (got one 300k model that imports in a minute or so), split animated models into a base .blend file holding the model and armature as well as multiple .blend files using Blender's "Link" feature, containing only the animations.

Applying modifiers (such as SubSurf) or removing them from the model also significantly shortened import times.

5. dev_34Disorder

dev_34Disorder

hi, i know this is an almost 8 year old thread but i'm also struggling with this and i like the .blend splitting idea, not exactly sure how to make it work though. did you link the mesh into the animation files or the animation files to the mesh file? and how exactly should i go about editing the animations?
    i have a 6k tri model with a pretty basic rig and a bunch of animations at 10mb. takes two whole minutes to re-import into unity every time, absolute nightmare to say the least. i have an ok computer so this really shouldn't be like this. i also tried exporting to fbx directly inside blender but that didn't change much.