Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Importing .blend files results in very incorrect scale factor in 2022

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by sameng, Oct 27, 2021.

1. sameng

sameng

It looks like .blend file imports are applying a very different scale factor than other versions of Unity.

I've filed a bug, but wanted to post in case anybody else runs into this issue.

My game uses .blend files for almost every model.
    (I find them very convenient, I am aware that FBX is better supported.)

It looks like .blend files are importing with the same scaler as .FBX files, which causes them to be imported at .001 scale compared to how they used to be imported.

I filed a bug report. Case 1376387

In all previous versions of Unity (2021.2, 2020, 2019, 2018...):

In Unity 2020 (if you zoom waaaaay in, you can see the little cube and the little guy :) )

Also a unrelated side note there are weird graphical artifacts around the game view.
    This is an empty project with only those 3 assets.

2. sameng

sameng

Maybe related to this issue?

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-file-to-100m-unity-when-importing-blend-file

I am on 2022.1.0 alpha 12.

It says the issue was fixed in alpha 6. Maybe regression since then?

Edit: It looks like this linked issue's fix is what actually is breaking my project.

In all previous versions of unity such as 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, it was
    1cm (File) to 1m (Unity).

I would assume that this fix will also break many projects updating from any previous version of unity to 2022.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @sameng,

Thanks a lot for the bug report and for bringing this up on the forum.

I can see that you've received a reply from our devs about this case. I'll share it here as well to let others in on the info:
    The latest status of the issue can be found here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1376387/

4. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

I wrote the above ^ reply on the bug. It would be super helpful to confirm you folks are both working on < Blender 2.8 to confirm our hypothesis.

5. sameng

sameng

Thank you for looking into this issue!

Indeed I'm using 2.79b in production.

I know it's an old version, but it's a really solid stable Blender and has worked well with all versions of Unity, all the way back to Unity 5.6.

Also, in many previous version of Unity, Blender 2.8 and greater would not correctly import into Unity, so 2.79 is still a great standard that works well.

6. sameng

sameng

I was thinking about upgrading my project to 2022 to fix some bugs that won't be fixed in 2021, but this is a blocker for me since all of my rigs and animations won't properly migrate and be properly supported in Blender 2.8+

Is there a way to force all .blend files to import at a different scale just for my project? Is this a custom asset-importer? Post-processor? I would appreciate any sort of small guidance as I am really new to asset-pipeline scripting and this is the main blocking bug for me to even think about trying Unity 2022.

7. Lumpazy

Lumpazy

Same Problem, but ONLY on Mac. I usually build on my PC for all but IOS.
    When moving the project over to my mac, some prefabs (with blender models) seem to vanish ... until i find them under the microscope.
    Especially annoying when the same unity version behaves different on different systems. I have no solution for this yet :(:(:(:(:(

2021 LTS still works ok.... but then xcode seems to throw a fit

Problem seems solved : Upgrading on Mac to Blender 3.6 and reimporting all .blend files fixed the issue.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024