Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Importing ambisonic order 2 wave file

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dpesce, Oct 2, 2017.

1. dpesce

dpesce

According to the AmbisonicAudio.pdf documentation, the framework can support ambisonic order 2 since 2017.1 version. I've tried to import a 9 channel wave file as an ambisonic asset ... but an unspecified error occurred when adding the wave file.
    As the error occurred before I can specify the asset as ambisonic, I assume that Unity has a problem to read multichannel wave file. Maybe there's a limit to 8 channel since it works for a first order file with 4 channels.
    Can someone enlighten me on the subject?

2. wfoxall

wfoxall

Did you find the answer to this? Or can anyone else enlighten us?
    It looks like I've had exactly the same journey as you 3 months later.

On the decoder end, I realise Oculus' ambisonic decoder only supports 1st order ambisonics and I expect that's the case for Google's Resonance decoder too (although I can't find it definitively clarified in their documentation), but it would be nice to be able to get a 9-channel 2nd order ambix into Unity.

3. wfoxall

wfoxall

As an update to this, it appears that there is indeed an 8-channel import limit in Unity currently.
    There is a thread on the Resonance SDK discussion here:
    https://github.com/resonance-audio/resonance-audio-unity-sdk/issues/17

This would be a feature request from us, as 2nd order ambisonics support would make it a lot easier to implement much better audio!

4. diego_montoya

diego_montoya

Any updates here, can files with more than 8 channels be imported now? Just tried in Unity 2019.2.9 and it I still get an error.

5. MichalKuligowski

MichalKuligowski

Come on Unity !

6. netpost

netpost

I agree importing second order ambisonic (9 channels) is a must to do a decent job. Does anybody have a solution to export first order ambisonic (4 channel) file from unity? Doing 3d sound in unity works well for games but how do you export the ambisonic sound to a third party audio application if you are planning to make sound for a 360 movie?

Thanks for your help!

7. RobertCoomber

RobertCoomber

This is the error I receive when trying to import a 9 Channel ambisonic audio file:

Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for clip "audiofilename" (FMOD error: The sound created exceeds the allowable input channel count. This can be increased using the maxinputchannels parameter in System::setSoftwareFormat. )
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

It's strange that I am getting an FMOD error. I did not think unity had any FMOD components that come pre-installed in the engine, however it appears there are some included. The error states that the channel limit count can be increased using some FMOD API parameters. I cannot find anything in the documentation that explains why there are FMOD components or what is the issue for the 8 Channel count limit.

I am looking into if a custom import script could fix this issue. If the issue is that the Unity Mixer doesn't support more than 8 channels, I don't think there is a way to achieve this without 3rd party audio plugins.

8. RobertCoomber

RobertCoomber

This is a workaround however its quite a process.

Wwise supports high channel count files. I've used it for 2nd and 3rd order audio files and they sound really great.

There is quite a learning curve for installing and operating Wwise properly. I really had to have 3rd order ambisonic files for a Unity project and Wwise did the job quite nicely.

9. r618

r618

Unity audio is based on FMOD, but any references to FMOD::System is basically useless since it's not exposed and max. supported channels for audio media is ~~ 6 IIRC
    You can, however, use FMOD Studio / their Unity Integration (and Resonance) for ambisonics