Search Unity

Importing a package causes windows to open all my programs :/

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tethys, May 28, 2013.

1. ShawnFrueh

ShawnFrueh

Just ran into this issue today on a large build (11GB). (2017.4.6f1) All of the processes in the task manager became windows and anything in my main screen became unselectable until I could kill explorer.exe. The issue happens right after the build is opening the folder location.

It happened 3 times in a row, all after a fresh PC restart with no other applications open. I did a small build in the same scene (Only a few scenes checked in the build setting) and it built just fine. After that I enabled all scenes again and did a full build and the issue has gone away. fingers crossed it stays like that. I forgot to screen grab the error codes that were in the editor. Something about windows.

My guess is that Unity had a hiccup and instead of pulling the windows explorer forward it just pulled all processes forward.

2. nswayze

nswayze

3. MiFrilke

MiFrilke

We have had this issue for a few weeks now on one specific machine that often imports large 3D models and animation files. During said imports (but only in like 1 in 20 cases), suddenly all kind of background apps become visible and several applications get new window instances etc.

I tried looking for an active bugticket about this, but only found https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-in-the-taskbar-when-importing-large-packages which is closed as "Not reproducible" (and also pretty old).
    It probably is going to be a hard problem to solve for Unity since it only seems to occur under some very specific, hard to find, circumstances. I'm not even sure creating a new bugticket would help at all, it would just get closed again as "Not reproducible"...

4. derkoi

derkoi

I'm getting this happen each time I switch platform between Android & iOS. On 2018.2.14

5. needforbleed

needforbleed

This happens for me in Unity 2019.1.1f1 in a newly collabed project. Whenever I hit run, Unity is stuck for minutes and then opens every app on my PC.
    After that I can start playmode over and over again without issues,

6. letchuck

letchuck

Happening randomly when opening my project. Unity 2018.3.7f1. It opens a bunch of random programs:

Not 100% repro, as most times it opens and launches the project just fine. But sometimes it will just open as many programs as possible, for no reason.

7. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I have this issue sometimes when I set a breakpoint in Visual Studio and the breakpoint is hit. Under very specific circumstances, which don't reproduce reliably, Windows 10 opens all running processes as windows (even those without a GUI).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  8. Baste

Baste

Just had this happen to me as well. Case 1257717. Windows 10, Unity 2018.4. From searching the forums, this bug has been around for a while, earliest reports I can see are Windows 7, Unity 5.

In my case I'm not sure what caused it. The only thing unusual going on was that I had a script running that was pushing data to google drive from the editor.

@Xarbrough is also correct, it seems to have opened every single background process as a window. I was wondering why the bug wasn't slowing my computer to a crawl, since so much stuff was open at once, but that explains it - nothing new opened, they just got windows.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  9. Baste

Baste

Update; just got it again! It specifically happened when I was trying to open an editor window.

The error log from Unity is pretty telling. There's two copies of this:

Code (csharp):
    3. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Window'
    4. UnityEditor.GUIView:Internal_Init(Int32, Int32)
    5. UnityEditor.GUIView:SetWindow(ContainerWindow) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GUIView.cs:73)
    6. UnityEditor.HostView:SetWindow(ContainerWindow) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:81)
    7. UnityEditor.View:SetWindowRecurse(ContainerWindow) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\View.cs:233)
    8. UnityEditor.View:AddChild(View, Int32) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\View.cs:203)
    9. UnityEditor.SplitView:AddChild(View, Int32) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GUI\SplitView.cs:179)
    10. UnityEditor.View:AddChild(View) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\View.cs:191)
    11. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:CreateNewWindowForEditorWindow(EditorWindow, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:1075)
    12. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:Show(Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:604)
    13. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:Show() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:596)
    14. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindowPrivate(Type, Boolean, String, Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:644)
    15. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Type, Boolean, String, Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:658)
    16. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Boolean, String, Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:724)
    17. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\EditorWindow.cs:698)
    18. TranslationUploadWindow:ShowNewWindow(SheetsService, TranslationSpreadsheet, List`1) (at Assets\Scripts\Mesmer\Editor\Translation\TranslationUploadWindow.cs:21)
    19. TranslationGoogleDriveIntegration:UploadLanguage(Int32) (at Assets\Scripts\Mesmer\Editor\Translation\TranslationGoogleDriveIntegration.cs:80)
    20. TranslationGoogleDriveIntegration:UploadEnglish() (at Assets\Scripts\Mesmer\Editor\Translation\TranslationGoogleDriveIntegration.cs:42)
    21. EditorCommands:UploadEnglishTranslations() (at Assets\Scripts\General\Editor\EditorCommands.cs:624)
    23. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/GfxDevice/GfxDeviceWindow.cpp line 23]
    24. (Filename: Assets/Scripts/Mesmer/Editor/Translation/TranslationUploadWindow.cs Line: 21)
    26. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Window'
    28. (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/GfxDevice/GfxDeviceWindow.cpp Line: 23)
    30. Assertion failed on expression: 'SUCCEEDED(hr)'
    32. (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/GfxDevice/d3d11/D3D11Window.cpp Line: 71)
    Those are internal assertions in Unity. Since it's failing on asserting m_Window, I bet what's happening is that Unity is trying to open an OS window, asserting that it managed to do so, and failing. I bet Unity's trying to use an uninitialized Windows window, and that that's triggering all kinds of weird Windows behaviour. Here's the assetions as shown in Unity:

upload_2020-6-22_10-29-39.png

I'll also bet that if I reset my editor layouts to default, this won't happen again. Unity has some weird internal bugs where the window layout that's loaded can get into a broken state that causes a bunch of side-effects. I'll check, after restarting my computer, because half of the windows opened by this bug won't close!

10. Baste

Baste

Update 2: Yup, resetting my layout to default fixed this bug.

11. kblood

kblood

This is overall a very strange bug. The fact that Unity is even able to affect Windows in this way. But it also seems very sporadic... and I guess if the layout has something to do with it, that might explain it. I hope that might overall solve the problem. I have not experienced it since last time, which must have been over a year ago now. Ah yes, 2017 even, so more than 3 years.

12. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

Like Xarbrough I get this utterly glorious bug sometimes when hitting a break point, intermittently for years on a large project, since at least 2017. I hit continue in the debugger but Unity stays frozen - uhoh. The moment I disconnect the debugger is when the window-splosion (one for every hidden process) happens.

I traced my bug to a multi-threading issue. I was saving a large log file on a second thread, and if this happened during the same frame as the break point (both in VS and Rider), Unity would reliably freeze and stay frozen every time. About 1/5th of the time I would also get the bajillion windows thing. When I reduced the log file size and save frequency, both issues went away almost entirely.

Then on a recent check of old code I found this editor hack that looks HIGHLY suspicious:

Code (CSharp):
    2. /// <summary>
    3. /// Detects and hides those annoying "file modification detected" popups in Visual Studio,
    4. /// that occur every time a shader is touched or any CS file is added via Unity.
    5. /// Files will be reloaded. From:
    6. /// https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-disable-visual-studio-dialog-file-modification-detected.364919/
    7. /// http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/124320/force-reload-vs-soution-explorer-when-adding-new-c-script-via-unity3d
    8. /// </summary>
    9. [InitializeOnLoad]
    10. public class FileModDialogCloser {
    12.    [DllImport("user32.dll", EntryPoint = "FindWindow", SetLastError = true)]
    13.    static extern IntPtr FindWindowByCaption(IntPtr ZeroOnly, string lpWindowName);
    15.    [DllImport("user32.dll")]
    16.    static extern bool ShowWindow(IntPtr hWnd, int nCmdShow);
    18.    [DllImport("user32.dll")]
    19.    static extern void keybd_event(byte bVk, byte bScan, uint dwFlags, int dwExtraInfo);
    21.    const string search = "File Modification Detected";
    22.    static IntPtr hwnd;
    24.    static void Check() {
    25.       hwnd = FindWindowByCaption(IntPtr.Zero, search);
    26.       if ((int)hwnd != 0) {
    27.          ShowWindow(hwnd, 5);
    28.          keybd_event(0x09, 0, 0, 0);
    29.          keybd_event(0x0D, 0, 0, 0);
    30.       }
    31.    }
    33.    static FileModDialogCloser() {
    34.       EditorApplication.update += Check;
    35.    }
    36. }
    So if resetting your window layout doesn't fix it, search your project for references to user32.dll, and maybe for additional threads being spun off on the regular.

futurlab_peterh and Xarbrough like this.
  13. Quinlan-H

Quinlan-H

Hey, I'm still having this issue in 2021????!! I have to restart my computer every time I try to save a c# file as it opens every window possible. Please help

14. kblood

kblood

It can still happen? What version of the editor are you using? I would suggest trying to reinstall the Editor and probably get the latest update of whatever version you are using.

F.ex. if you are using 2019 get the LTS (long term support) version and the latest one of those, same thing with 2020, and if you are using 2021... well, consider using an LTS version instead as 2021 is pretty much only beta versions. They are trying to add new features to these that are not fully tested and they always have known problems with each version.

But if you have to use a 2021 version of unity, take the same release, say 2021.1 and get the newest one, even if you currently have the newest one and install that. Probably remove the current installation of Unity first.

Are you using Unity Hub? I can highly recommend using it, it really helps speed up the process of finding the newest versions and installing them. It is annoying that they have no patch system so you have to fully install a new version of Unity instead of updating an existing install, but I guess it is a lot of work to create patches for something like this.

15. Cocco0671

Cocco0671

this happened to me with 2020.3.13f1 version

16. TarekMr

TarekMr

It happens to me also, every 3 times I build for Webgl, it happens once.

17. futurlab_peterh

futurlab_peterh

This is still happening very consistently at the end of a build process - reproduced on various PCs running Unity 2020.3.17f1, 2020.3.20f1 and 2021.1.26f1.
    We haven't been able to figure out a way to avoid it yet. Has anyone found a way to repro this on a minimal project and report a bug to Unity?

PokerDawg likes this.
  18. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I believe it only happens when Unity is rebuilding but a different window has focus. For example, letting a build process run in the background while you're browsing the internet. So you might be able to avoid it by never looking at a different window while Unity builds, but that's not really a great option. I've reported it a few times but Unity has always responded with "Can't Repro" because it doesn't happen every time.

PokerDawg and futurlab_peterh like this.
  19. futurlab_peterh

futurlab_peterh

That is a great point - we've never seen it happening on our build machine, even though it is generating tons of builds every day.

The "Can't Repro" situation is exactly why I haven't reported it so far, but it's happening so frequently as of late that I might just put some proper time to repro it on a minimal project.

makeshiftwings and PokerDawg like this.
  20. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I think it's probably still good for more people to report it even if Unity replies with a Can't Repro. The only way it will ever get fixed is if enough people keep reporting it that one of the devs finally gives in and tries to look into it.

Phil_Z and futurlab_peterh like this.
  21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  22. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

Hi! I'm a dev that was trying to fix this bug. As mentioned, it happens to us so infrequently that we cannot be 100% sure of the cause. The main suspect is that creating a window fails for some reason for some people on some systems. When that happens, we are accidentally using bad window handles, and then when we try to focus a window with a bad handle, Windows gets confused and then shows all the windows of every running program!

23. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It cant be that because whenever it happens to me it opens every program on my computer, not just shows every running program. This was the same for most users in this thread - so you may not be looking for the correct thing. This happened to me just now in 2020.3 LTS versions! It happened at the end of a build process instead of focusing the build folder like it normally does, so its not just to do with packages etc.

Ill try the reset layout to default trick mentioned above, but everytime this happens (and its not that infrequent I have had it happen 3 times in the last 2 weeks) I have to emergency shutdown my pc as it becomes completely unresponsive and I stop being able to see my work.

Good luck finding the cause! :)

futurlab_peterh likes this.
  24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, we are aware that it opens/launches programs. As mentioned, please test with Unity 2022, you can install multiple versions of Unity using the Hub.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  25. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Already installing it, will let you know if it resolves the issue. But please consider a backport if it does fix it, LTS needs this

26. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@JeffDUnity3D the 2022 fix works (as far as I can tell). Please backport this, 2020.3LTS is broken due to this and its happening about once every day for me.

Please note, the random opening of stuff caused a file transfer to start copying AND deleting folders and files around my companies work PC this last time the bug happened - that is seriously devastatingly dangerous to users PCs if left unfixed. I do not feel safe using unity on customer projects right now as a result, and cannot upgrade their project to 2022. Why this is causing not just stuff to open but seemingly random file transfers etc to happen I dont understand, but please please port this back or put out an announcement about the issue.

27. mcguinnessdr

mcguinnessdr

It's not ideal, but have you tried building from command line? This has worked around the issue for me so I can keep working with only a slight interruption to my normal workflow.

28. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I work for a danish company working on multiple major client projects, shutting down unity to run a command line build or building via command line is not a workflow that will work for us time budget wise, and is not what I expect from an LTS version of unity we are paying pro licenses for

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  29. RashadIbrahimli

RashadIbrahimli

It still continues in 2022. I faced the same problem but still couldn't solve it.

CC_YN and futurlab_peterh like this.
  30. futurlab_peterh

futurlab_peterh

I've seen the issue happening (although less frequently) when importing lots of assets as well (after deleting the Library folder, for example), so the issue might not be exclusive to builds.

This has been reproduced on 2020.3.20f1 and 2021.1.28f1. Weirdly enough, we never saw it happening on our build servers, even after dozens of builds done daily (they usually build in batch mode though).

31. CC_YN

CC_YN

This problem still occurs in LTS 2021.3.8f1 and 2021.3.6f1 when I was trying to upgrade my program from 2020.3.16f1c1 to a newer version. As soon as I tried to import a package from the package management, all of my programs just opened in the background. We really need a solution to this problem.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    weizgit and futurlab_peterh like this.
  32. weizgit

weizgit

I ran into this as well in 2021.3.8f1 LTS (Which was just reinstalled along with Unity Hub directly before the new install). I never even made it to the package manager, but rather going through preferences when this happened. This was an empty, unedited, new 3D project.

I believe I tried this with the current 2022 beta as well with the same results... I have no idea what's going on. I haven't been able to do anything in 2 days because of this.. and from an LTS release at that? What's the point if it's as stable as the Betas...

I keep getting that error about being unable to insert an item (for a dropdown/menu I believe), which I believe is the start of where things go wrong.

After those errors start going, not even the standard menus like File, Edit, etc. work. You can X/close it out or alt+F4, but that's about the only way out.

Here is an excerpt from my Editor.log, starting with the first failure... in case this looks familiar to anyone:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    2. Name: Open by file extension, Command: 0
    3. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    4. Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 [16.11.32802], Command: 1
    5. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    6. Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2022 [17.3.32825], Command: 2
    7. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    8. Name: Visual Studio Code, Command: 3
    9. Failed to ad separator
    10. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    11. Name: Browse..., Command: 5
    12. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    13. Name: Open by file extension, Command: 0
    14. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    15. Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 [16.11.32802], Command: 1
    16. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    17. Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2022 [17.3.32825], Command: 2
    18. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    19. Name: Visual Studio Code, Command: 3
    20. Failed to ad separator
    21. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    22. Name: Browse..., Command: 5
    23. [EnlightenBakeManager] m_Clear = false;
    24. [EnlightenBakeManager] m_Clear = false;
    25. Created GICache directory at C:/Users/$USER$/AppData/LocalLow/Unity/Caches/GiCache. Took: 0.052s, timestamps: [160.810 - 160.863]
    26. TrimDiskCacheJob: Current cache size 0mb
    27. [00:01:25] Finished 1 Bake Ambient Probe job (0.00s execute, 0.00s integrate, 0.05s wallclock)
    28. Starting cubemap convolution for '' (size 128)
    29. ...took 0.049 seconds
    30. [QS] Editor analytics are disabled
    31. Starting new worker id: 0 with log in P:/Unity_Projects/temp3/Logs/AssetImportWorker0.log
    32. Worker ready: AssetImportWorker0 0
    33. Starting new worker id: 1 with log in P:/Unity_Projects/temp3/Logs/AssetImportWorker1.log
    34. [Worker0] Start importing Assets/Scenes/SampleScene.unity using Guid(9fc0d4010bbf28b4594072e72b8655ab) Importer(2089858483,0ecaa5967403d082aa24f35e1b516d23)
    35. [Worker0]  -> (artifact id: '0692782f4c9315b61e741c921de19c4b') in 0.054649 seconds
    36. [QS] Editor analytics are disabled
    37. Worker ready: AssetImportWorker1 1
    38. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    39. Name: Classic, Command: 0
    40. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    41. Name: Advanced, Command: 1
    42. <RI> Touch support initialization failed: Invalid window handle.
    44. .
    46. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Window'
    47. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    48. UnityEditor.GUIView:SetWindow (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    49. UnityEditor.View:SetWindowRecurse (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    50. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:set_rootView (UnityEditor.View)
    51. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    53. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\GfxDevice\GfxDeviceWindow.cpp line 26]
    55. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Window'
    56. !m_View
    57. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    58. UnityEditor.GUIView:SetWindow (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    59. UnityEditor.View:SetWindowRecurse (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    60. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:set_rootView (UnityEditor.View)
    61. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    63. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Platform\Windows\GUIView.cpp line 1857]
    65. Assertion failed on expression: 'SUCCEEDED(hr)'
    66. d3d11: swap chain: w=32 h=32 fmt=28
    67. d3d11: failed to create swap chain [0x887a0001]
    68. !m_View
    69. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    70. UnityEditor.GUIView:SetWindow (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    71. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    73. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Platform\Windows\GUIView.cpp line 1857]
    75. Failed to get window rect
    76. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    77. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:Internal_Show (UnityEngine.Rect,int,UnityEngine.Vector2,UnityEngine.Vector2)
    78. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:ShowPopupWithMode (UnityEditor.ShowMode,bool)
    79. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:ShowTooltip ()
    80. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Setup (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    81. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    83. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Platform\Windows\ContainerWindow.cpp line 1381]
    85. !m_View
    86. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    87. UnityEditor.GUIView:SetWindow (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    88. UnityEditor.View:SetWindowRecurse (UnityEditor.ContainerWindow)
    89. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:ShowPopupWithMode (UnityEditor.ShowMode,bool)
    90. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:ShowTooltip ()
    91. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Setup (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    92. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    94. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Platform\Windows\GUIView.cpp line 1857]
    96. Failed to get window rect
    97. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    98. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:set_position (UnityEngine.Rect)
    99. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:ShowPopupWithMode (UnityEditor.ShowMode,bool)
    100. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:ShowTooltip ()
    101. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Setup (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    102. UnityEditor.TooltipView:Show (string,UnityEngine.Rect,UnityEditor.GUIView)
    104. [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Platform\Windows\ContainerWindow.cpp line 1381]
    106. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Window'
    107. Registering precompiled user dll's ...
    108. Registered in 0.002338 seconds.
    109. Asset Pipeline Refresh: Total: 0.084 seconds - Initiated by RefreshV2(AllowForceSynchronousImport)
    110. Asset Pipeline Refresh: Total: 0.008 seconds - Initiated by RefreshV2(AllowForceSynchronousImport)
    111. [QS] Editor analytics are disabled
    112. [LAYOUT] About to save layout P:\Unity_Projects\temp3\UserSettings\Layouts\default-2021.dwlt
    113. AcceleratorClientConnectionCallback - disconnected - :0
    114. Cleanup mono
    If more is needed, just let me know; I'm unsure of what needs to be shared, but if it was the entire log I'd first want to edit/rename a few things...

Maybe this isn't anything to think twice about, but I saw the references to:
    [C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\GfxDevice\GfxDeviceWindow.cpp line 26]
    This directory does not exist on my drive, but since it seems to find the line where the error is, I assume unity is faking the address for internal purposes or something? Not sure, but I am sure the directory does not exist.

Currently running Revo Uninstaller to make sure anything Unity is gone before reinstalling... again.

Will post if any solutions/workarounds are found. I'm amazed this has been a thing for so long, albeit it, seemingly infrequently.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    CC_YN and futurlab_peterh like this.
  33. CC_YN

CC_YN

Just tested in LTS 2021.3.4f1 and brand new release 2021.3.9f1, the problem still existed when I tried to import a new package or just randomly click on any button in the editor.

34. weizgit

weizgit

I'm just curious, have you also experienced this issue (Failed to insert item messages in build log)? I've been seeing both in the last.. 3-4 days or so.

I've uninstalled everything completely with Revo Uninstaller, which cleared out my registry and AppData... as well as I manually searched in my user dir for anything at all unity related to delete. After installing a new UnityHub and 2021.3.8f1 Engine, I ended up with those 'failed to insert' mesages.
    On additional attempts using either blank projects or a Unity sample project, Test Track as the last one I tried, I started seeing the error discussed in this thread as well.

I'm not sure if they're related or if I just happen to get them both, but I've only seen them for the first time this week. My Unity experience isn't much more than a year, so the sample size is low, but it seems like this issue has been on and off for a while after looking at the forums.

I don't really know nearly enough as I should about this stuff, but it certainly feels like something UI related, which I'm sure some of you agree with. However, I'm not 100% sure if it's Unity by itself, or a combination of it with something on our system. If it was 100% just Unity, I'm sure the forums would be flooded; But instead we get someone mentioning it here and there over the years.

If I had another PC I would give it a chance on there, but sadly I do not... and reinstalling Windows at this point isn't an option or else I'd give that a shot too.

Will try a few more things out, but I'll make a good bug report after that if nothing ends up resolving the issue. I just want to make sure if it's something on my end, I figure out what it is so I can rely it on over to Unity... in case they can do anything about.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  35. ahmedzzz456

ahmedzzz456

36. ahmedzzz456

ahmedzzz456

I faced this problem too randomly
    My laptop works perfectly in the same version of unity as my PC.
    my PC is much powerful than my laptop but this issue just happened

CC_YN likes this.
  37. CC_YN

CC_YN

Yes, I am facing this problem also when I opened an empty project. After seeing the log, unity just opened all the programs in the background. (Just tested in 2021.3.9f1 LTS)

I will try to import my project to another PC later today, try to figure out whether the problem is related to a specific PC or not. By the way, my main PC is running WIN11 Insider Preview 25193.1000.

UPDATE: When I tried to use my old laptop which is using Win10, the project upgrade was successful on LTS 2021.3.8f1 and there was no error. I could both import and upgrade any package I wanted.

Now I am thinking there might be specific software related or some kind of background app fresh problem causing Unity to open all software.

UPDATE2:
    I just installed the 2022.1.15f1 and opened an empty 2D project. After I installed the URP package and went back to the editor, the following error popped out, and I could click on any toolbar selection anymore.

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'ContainerWindow' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow.Save () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow.Close () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.TooltipView.ForceClose () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.TooltipView.Update () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  38. weizgit

weizgit

I was completely was thinking the same thing; Something related to windows, or maybe a library, etc. since it clearly wasn't happening to everyone. Maybe it's something due to 11, as I'm running that as well.

If I have some time in the next day or two I'll give it a shot on Gentoo Linux, installing the same version. I have a feeling it will work fine...
    Good luck!

UPDATE: Tried with BETA 2022.2.0b7.2913 with a blank 3D project. I opened project setting and preferences just to check on some things, then when I tried to click the dropdown for 'Code Optimization On Startup' I spit out the warning:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to insert item. Invalid menu handle.
    2. Name: Debug, Command: 0
    After that, I ran right back into the situation where no menus work anymore and errors start popping up if I move a floating window around or try docking it, etc. All things that seem to be stemming from the UI as nothing really functional has taken place yet.

Will still plan to give Linux a shot by end of Monday... and still have a feeling I won't see these issues.

I'm just wondering what it is so I can have it working on Window11 as I use it for a number of other things as well. Whatever it is, I've only seen any issues related to Unity, and I use a decent variety of software daily.

UPDATE2: Submitted a bug report including a summary of all these, seemingly UI-related errors happening in Windows 11, along with Editor logs, and project files. I'm hoping they can find us a package to download or registry entry to adjust or something... just as long as it can get running again; That'd be great :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    FuchsFarbe and CC_YN like this.
  39. CC_YN

CC_YN

I just installed the 2022.1.15f1 and opened an empty 2D project. After I installed the URP package and went back to the editor, the following error popped out, and I could not click on any toolbar selection anymore.
    The system I am currently using is Windows 11 Insider Preview 25193.1000 (rs_prerelease).

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'ContainerWindow' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow.Save () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.ContainerWindow.Close () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.TooltipView.ForceClose () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.TooltipView.Update () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <42110b4656fd4715a7cc1aa4486f2a35>:0)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  40. weizgit

weizgit

I gave up trying at this point as I have submitted a bug to Unity and someone, with an actual name, is assigned to it. I added additional notes to check and another thread for more details as well.

Whatever it is that is going on, it seem related around the UI of the editor itself; Especially since I can see it in blank projects. Something to do with a W11 I assume, as W10 and Gentoo work just fine. I can even run it inside of Ubuntu running on top of WSL2... but not in W11 itself; Odd stuff, but at least it narrows it down for them :)

CC_YN likes this.
  41. HRZhang001

HRZhang001

I view this

Attached Files:

42. CC_YN

CC_YN

Same. If you are also using win11, that should be the problem. I think the only solution is to switch to another system.

43. weizgit

weizgit

I agree that switching OSs is probably the only work around at this point until someone knows more, however this isn't a position Unity should be putting us in.

I'm sure there may be a little blame involving Microsoft since it seems W11 specific, but still, I have no other applications or programs are having any sort of issues.

I have a bug report that is 'In Review' at the moment which was submitted about a week ago. I included links to this and another thread related to the 'Fail to insert item messages' issues, which I am also seeing.
    If I get any sort of info back, work around, or news about a fix coming; I'll make sure to let everyone here know.

Hopefully as more people get this issue it will put more pressure on them to fix it, as this is pretty critical for those who are experiencing it. Luckily I have options, but not everyone dual boots or has two machines. For them, they can't do anything at the moment.

HRZhang001 and CC_YN like this.
  44. weizgit

weizgit

FYI: Reinstalled Windows 11 Insiders, same version I was using, after downloading the ISO
    No problems so far using the Unity and Windows version... so I have no idea what was going on; but it still would be nice to know in case it happens again, as it seems to have been happening on and off for some time.

Not a 'solution', but just another workaround, albeit somewhat time consuming for those with a lot to setup.

CC_YN likes this.
  45. CC_YN

CC_YN

UPDATE: After reinstalling Win11 by downloading ISO from Microsoft website, I can use any version without any error. So this problem is about the system.
    Now I am using Win11 Pro version(Not the insider version anymore), and everything works fine.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  46. am1goo_43

am1goo_43

Unity 2021.3.9f1
    A lot of opened windows at once while building process.

upload_2022-11-23_17-34-15.png

Attached Files:

47. Lithnor

Lithnor

Just had this happen twice when importing two different unityPackages. One was a Editor addon and another was just assets. 2021.3.17f1.

Anyone have any ideas?
    https://i.imgur.com/MUSVW8C.png