Search Unity

Importing 3DS Max with keyframes

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by SyntaxTerror, Dec 16, 2019.

1. SyntaxTerror

SyntaxTerror

I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks and am wondering if anyone has a solution.

I have a book that I've modelled in Max. The pages deform when it's opened. I initially did it using a spline but then discovered that Unity doesn't support it. So I created the page block using polygon modelling and just moving vertices around, recording their positions in keyframes. Again, works fine in Max but the minute I try to import into Unity, the animation fails.

At the moment, all that happens when I run the animation in unity is that the book opens, but the pages don't deform. What could be causing this?

2. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

I'm sure that direct keyframing of vertices (if I understood you right) is also Max-specific feature. Game engines will require you to either make Morph Targets for pages or weight them to animated bones.

SyntaxTerror likes this.
  3. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Alternately, look into Alembic export-import: https://forum.unity.com/threads/alembic-for-unity.521649/page-4 I heard that this format supports baking mesh deformations on per-vertex basis (point caching), which can solve incompatibility problems for things like Max animated modifiers. However I have zero experience with it.

SyntaxTerror likes this.
  4. SyntaxTerror

SyntaxTerror

Thanks. I'll take a look at Morph Targets. I did take a quick look at them a couple of days ago but wasn't entirely sure why they would work.